166 3.2 poor throttle response - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-12-15 Thread Starter
bxd

County: Sofia
Garage
166 3.2 poor throttle response

Hi, everyone,
I have a 2005 alfa 166 3.2 V6 manual for almost 3 years. The car is great, but has very strange throttle response that irritates me very much and so far no one is able to solve it: When I press throttle to the floor - it accelerates as if it is around 120- 130 hp, not 240. To make it accelerate like it should, I have to floor the pedal down, wait for few seconds, then slightly release the pedal ... and then - wow the power is there. Plus, the engine sound improves significantly. I've replaced almost all the suspicious components - maf sensor, sparks with new new ones (the upgrade NJK PFR7B), inspected intake manifold for leaks - no problem, measured the backpressure - normal values.
I suspect throttle body, although when I test it, it shows normal values for pedal position vs throttle angle.
Other strange thing - when I go to the sea, the problem disappears. Sometimes the problem disapears when I put aircondition ON (very strange)
With STR on - also - there is improvement, but only for a while, after more time driving with STR on the car learns to be lazy again....
very annoing issue. Does anyone else had such a problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxd View Post
Hi, everyone,
I have a 2005 alfa 166 3.2 V6 manual for almost 3 years. The car is great, but has very strange throttle response that irritates me very much and so far no one is able to solve it: When I press throttle to the floor - it accelerates as if it is around 120- 130 hp, not 240. To make it accelerate like it should, I have to floor the pedal down, wait for few seconds, then slightly release the pedal ... and then - wow the power is there. Plus, the engine sound improves significantly. I've replaced almost all the suspicious components - maf sensor, sparks with new new ones (the upgrade NJK PFR7B), inspected intake manifold for leaks - no problem, measured the backpressure - normal values.
I suspect throttle body, although when I test it, it shows normal values for pedal position vs throttle angle.
Other strange thing - when I go to the sea, the problem disappears. Sometimes the problem disapears when I put aircondition ON (very strange)
With STR on - also - there is improvement, but only for a while, after more time driving with STR on the car learns to be lazy again....
very annoing issue. Does anyone else had such a problem?
A throttle reset might help. Below is the procedure to perform it on ph2 3.0 V6 GTV. Not sure if it's the same for your 166 3.2, you might want to check this before trying:

Ignition off.
Turn ignition on, press accelerator pedal to the floor 3 or 4 times.
Turn ignition off.
Turn ignition on and start engine and take car for a run.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 08-04-16 Thread Starter
bxd

County: Sofia
Garage
Hello again,
@Antonios: Thanks for the procedure, but it didn't help. But there are
Some news: I found that all three coils on the front row are arching (I suspect other three arc too but cannot be seen)! Slightly, but arcing. So I removed sparks and measured gap height - it was more than 1.1mm instead of recomended 0.7 mm. So I bought brand new BOSCH coils and regapped all the plugs to around 0.7 mm. Now comes interesting part:
Code:
1. First run: old plugs (regapped), old coils:  No sparks (idling engine for more than an hour) :)
2. Second run: old plugs (regapped), new coils:  NO sparks initially, but afrer 2-3 hours drive - again SPARKING COILS :(
3. Third run: old plugs  (regapped), old coils:  Sparks again
4. Fourth run: new plugs NGK PFR6B 0.7mm, one old and two new coils:  Sparks everywhere (at idling and after drivinf
Any Ideas??? Is it possible that new coils are fake? Are there fake bosch coils?
PS: The grounds seem to be ok.

alfa 166 3.2 V6 FTW

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
166 , poor , response , throttle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page