2.0 jts engine oil - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Old 17-10-07 Thread Starter

2.0 jts engine oil

Hi everyone!

My first post on the forum

I've recently bought my first Alfa, a 2006 GT 2.0 jts selespeed Sportivo which have done aprox. 12000 km. I am very happy with the car, but I have a few questions, after a few weeks of driving:

1. The car was serviced today and from the work order it looks like the mechanic have filled 5W30 oil in the engine. I see the manual recommends using 10W60 oil on the 2.0 jts and 3.2 v6. Does anybody know if it is ok running with 5w30 oil in the 2.0 jts engine, or should I go back and have the oil drained and replaced ? What do you guys use ?

2. I'm considering changing to 18 inch rims, but I am a bit uncertain about which wheel size to go for. I see 225/40 is one option, but does anyone use wider wheel dimensions like 235/40 or perhaps 245/40 ? What about ride quality ? Will there be much of a difference from my 17 inch gta wheels which its currently running on ?

Answers much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-10-07
AO Gold Member

Re: 2.0 jts engine oil

5W30 is for Fords and Jag's not Alfa's.

Its not OK. no.

Get some 10W60 full synthetic, any brand.

The ride (IMHO) is murder on 18's - its an inch too far!
Old 17-10-07
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0 JTS

Yep agree, 17's on the roads I use are a compromise with looks and ride, 18's look good but not enough rubber for me. 10w60 Selenia Racing is the JTS recommended. One thought, have you the GT Owner manual? if not ask from Alfa, does have most useful specs and info in it.
Old 17-10-07
AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

Nada at the mo!!

10W60 Oil for me as well. Get it checked and changed if required.

I have 18's on my GT and don't find them at all harsh. I have driven a few GT's on 17's and there is little notable difference. Go for the 225/40/18 rubber, as thats the correct size with 18's.
Old 17-10-07
newalfisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiks View Post
Hi everyone!

My first post on the forum

I've recently bought my first Alfa, a 2006 GT 2.0 jts selespeed Sportivo which have done aprox. 12000 km. I am very happy with the car, but I have a few questions, after a few weeks of driving:

1. The car was serviced today and from the work order it looks like the mechanic have filled 5W30 oil in the engine. I see the manual recommends using 10W60 oil on the 2.0 jts and 3.2 v6. Does anybody know if it is ok running with 5w30 oil in the 2.0 jts engine, or should I go back and have the oil drained and replaced ? What do you guys use ?

2. I'm considering changing to 18 inch rims, but I am a bit uncertain about which wheel size to go for. I see 225/40 is one option, but does anyone use wider wheel dimensions like 235/40 or perhaps 245/40 ? What about ride quality ? Will there be much of a difference from my 17 inch gta wheels which its currently running on ?

Answers much appreciated
18inch is too much and probably would affect the dynamics negatively. You DONT have to use 10w60 Selenia oil, if i was you i would use a good quality 10w40 10w50 ester based or at least PAO based with a TBN of arround 10.

Old 15-02-10

County: Queensland

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

I used Mobil 1 in my 2.2 jts 159 from the first oil change to now -60,000kms and it uses oil, i'm going back to 10w60 Selenia Racing oil to see if it dries up????
Old 15-02-10
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidback1 View Post
I used Mobil 1 in my 2.2 jts 159 from the first oil change to now -60,000kms and it uses oil, i'm going back to 10w60 Selenia Racing oil to see if it dries up????
The 2.2JTS is a completely different engine to the 2.0JTS.

Don't use 10W60 in a 2.2JTS.
Old 15-02-10
Kalel

I had a 2.0 JTS in my 156.

The engine does burn a lot of oil so 10w-60 spec. really is the way to go. Using a thinner spec. will lead to a much higher rate of burn. Even with the 10w-60 I had to check the oil level at least once a fortnight. Do yourself a favour and avoid the unecessary heartache caused by an oil starved engine. Rebuilds aren't much fun.

I would definitely get the oil drained.

The best oil for the money IMO and the one I swear by is Castrol Edge Sport 10w-60. It shares 99 percent of the ingredients of Selenia but is still fairly expensive.

Good luck.

Old 15-02-10
AO Silver Member

County: Cork

Member car:

BMW E92 320D

I found Gulf 10W60 far far ..far better than the Castrol. I wasnt expecting much of a difference in consumption but it has changed it completely, used to use 1L/2000km with Castrol, now it's easily halved consumption by using Gulf.
Old 15-02-10
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Try Opie oils.

They have a few 10w-60 oils, all of which are superior to Selenia racing as well as being cheaper.

Seriously I wouldn't put Selenia racing in our lawnmower.
(No API or ACEA Certs)
Old 12-08-10

County: -

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

159 2.2 jts

So, if 10w60 should not be used in a 2.2 JTS, what is the best oil to use? The local Alfa dealership were kind enough to provide the car without a manual and my check oil warning light came on last night.

Need to top the oil up temporarily, as it is due to be serviced next week anyway. certainly dont want to drive around in the meantime
Old 12-08-10
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan159 View Post
So, if 10w60 should not be used in a 2.2 JTS, what is the best oil to use? The local Alfa dealership were kind enough to provide the car without a manual and my check oil warning light came on last night.

Need to top the oil up temporarily, as it is due to be serviced next week anyway. certainly dont want to drive around in the meantime
The 2.2JTS is a completely different engine, no relation at all to the 2.0JTS.

The 2.2JTS is spec'd with 5W40 full synthetic.
The OEM oil being Selenia StAR.
Old 12-08-10

County: -

Member car:

159 2.2 JTS

Fantastic, thanks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , jts , oil