Cam Belt vs. Timing Belt - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 16-10-07 Thread Starter

Cam Belt vs. Timing Belt

Please excuse my ignorance, I have been doing lots of research prior to committing to the Alfa Romeo experience Is there a difference between a Cam Belt change and a Timing Belt service? The guy I just spoke to at the Alfa Romeo service did not know heads from tails which scared the heck out of me! He quoted a rough estimate of USD 1,250.00 for the job.

Another issue, when I test drove the car, I heard the wine of the steering pump when slightly turning the steering wheel; you know, its the typical sound you hear when you are at full lock, only with this car, the sound came on much sooner and it happened when you start to turn slowly.

I think I can get a good deal on the car, I might be able to get it the 2000 2.0ts, manual roof for around USD 8,000.00 with around 32,000 miles. I am scared to death of the possible mechanical problems, but even then, it remains a much logical purchase than a Boxter or older style Mercedes 500SL which are big bucks for my budget.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance

Last edited by Bazalfa; 16-10-07 at 07:02.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 8 Old 16-10-07 Thread Starter

Re: Cam Belt vs. Timing Belt

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazalfa View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, I have been doing lots of research prior to committing to the Alfa Romeo experience Is there a difference between a Cam Belt change and a Timing Belt service? The guy I just spoke to at the Alfa Romeo service did not know heads from tails which scared the heck out of me! He quoted a rough estimate of USD 1,250.00 for the job.

Another issue, when I test drove the car, I heard the wine of the steering pump when slightly turning the steering wheel; you know, its the typical sound you hear when you are at full lock, only with this car, the sound came on much sooner and it happened when you start to turn slowly.

I think I can get a good deal on the car, I might be able to get it the 2000 2.0ts, manual roof for around USD 8,000.00 with around 32,000 miles. I am scared to death of the possible mechanical problems, but even then, it remains a much logical purchase than a Boxter or older style Mercedes 500SL which are big bucks for my budget.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance
Hi and welcome.

Not an expert but I will have a punt. Cam belt change would be exactly that change of cam belt and tensioners (variator and water pump may as well be done at same time). 'timing belt service' seeing as its the same as the cam belt, just different words my GUESS would be they are the same thing. However ASK them to explain, if you don't understand. Questions now are better than huge bills later.

On your prospective car, a 2.0 twinspark engine require a cam belt and tensioners every 36k miles. So your car is pretty close, I would ask for it to be done prior to purchase. Or discount the cost of the cam belt change from the car and have it done asap.

Also check the oil level on the car, they should always be 3/4 full and the TS engine can use oil and are very susceptible to damage once the oil has run low.
Watshot

No need to guess! Cam belt and timing belt are one and the same thing.

AO Silver Member

But the key word is not service but replace, you can not service it. As above make sure the cam belt, tensioners, pulleys, variator (controls the variable valve timing) and water pump are all done at the same time. Over here a full service like that would be £450-500 ie no more than $1000 but idf its a main dealer then expect to pay more. Difficult to say about the power steering, you certainly cant hear mine until its on full lock. But check the tyre pressures, if they are low (39lb at the front) it could cause the pump to strain more than usual. Finally read the guide here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...ers-guide.html
And remember you dont have to buy the first one you see, if you are not happy walk away.
Good luck
Dan
Dan

Any tea in the pot?
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 17-10-07 Thread Starter

Thank you for the very useful input. It really all depends on whether the buyer will come down in price, which will provide me with an opportunity to service the car properly. The current owner services the car once a year with an average of 10,000 KM annually.

Now that we agree that the cam belt and timing belt are one and the same, it will be easier to communicate with mechanics over here, some of which hardly speak any English. Yes, this is a replacement, but they call it a "service" over here. I am assuming that a shop can order a full kit from the dealership, this will help reduce the cost of replacement.

I will certainly take another close look at the car (oil check, hoses, bushes, etc.) if the guys agrees to my offer, I will also take it for an inspection at the traffic department (similar to MoT) before I handover the money, I will ask to check for free play in the suspension and any damages to the underside of the car.

Not many Spiders were sold here, which is what makes this very unique. I would not be lying if I told you that convertibles from Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW are as common as a Ford Fiesta in the UK.

Non-the-less, if the car fails any of the inspections, I will have to let it go and wait for the next one that comes along, which could be a very long time

Cheers.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Check oil level in power steering pump. The reservoir aint very big, pumps usually whine if they are starved/short of oil on the roundabout circuit.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 30-10-07 Thread Starter

How much does the kit typically cost from the dealer and does it include the water pump? Does it also include the lifters/adjusters? Is there a part number I can use, I feel that the dealer will probably be a pain in the $ss, thus the reason why they do not sell more of these cars here Thanks.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page