cam belt 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD 2005

Hmmm cam belt 156

hi guys can someone please advise me as to the comments on here regarding the breaking of the cam belt. it is said that if your cam belt breaks the damage is thus, weather you have a new cylinder head or re-vamp the damaged one is one thing but at around 500-600 miles later you are likely to need a new engine too as the con rods ,pistons,big ends ect will also be blown ? how does this fare when you blow the head gasket and not break a belt ? as my head gasket recently blew althouigh i stopped straight away and never started it again untill i had repaird and rep[laced everything within the head ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: cam belt 156

the belt breaking is a different situation from a head gasket going, even though they both involve disturbing the head, the belt breaking causes a high speed impact between pistons and valves, head gasket going causes overheating and eventual seizure if not fixed but no impact.

You should be ok as long as the bottom end shells didnt run dry of oil. In a cambelt fail, the piston that takes the most hits seems to get its shell bearing or conrod damaged from the blow, or the shell bearing rotates and blocks the oilway, causing later failure of the bearing.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 12-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD 2005

thnx m8 can continue on my happy way now ??? just did'nt know if it was a good time to get rid although i have done the work cos i love my car and wanna get some motoring outta it after spending buckets of cash on it.. many thnx

np
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Iceman288, Check backposts on this.: It's the impacted force, that compresses the white metal of the shells, causing excess clearance, and subesequent bearing failure. Remove the shells from the rods, and end caps, check the crankpins for damage, then fit a new set of shells.:

he just had a gasket go tho mate, as far as i understand the belt didnt break

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , belt , cam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page