Cambelt gone - main dealer not much help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-07 Thread Starter

Cambelt gone - main dealer not much help

Cambelt has gone on my X reg 156 1.8 TS. I had it replaced when I bought the car 2 yrs 9 months ago (34000 miles ago, the car now has 140000)
Had it recovered to my local main dealer and they say they can rebuild the top end for 2000 but they don't recommend this as the bottrom end will probably go sooner or later. They said 4000 for a new engine. I only paid 3000 for the car, so they are saying I should just walk away and get something new.

I don't really want to do that, as I don't have several thousand to spend.

Is their advice reasonable or could anyone help me somehow? I live in SE London so would obviously also have to find a cost-effective way of getting the car recovered from the dealer. I have seen recon engines on Ebay for 1150 fitted but don't know what to make of that.

By the way, I'm not really technically minded when it comes to cars, so please don't expect me to know much....

Cheers everyone,

Dan Jemison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Re: Cambelt gone - main dealer not much help

when the belt snaps the pistons will hit the vlauves, bending them, thats easy to fix, but when the pistons hit the valves there is the possiblity that there will be damage to the conrods, either bending them or causing play, and in some cases i've seen crankshaft bearings fail shortly after as well. the easy way to decide if the bottom end will need any work is to look at the piston faces, if there are indentation marks where the valve contact occured then it means the contact was hard and you are at risk of bottom end problems shortly after the head is repaired. what are the chances? its difficult to say, but you are more likley to have no bottom end problems at all, unless the belt snapped when at high rpm and under full load.

the prices you've been quoted are rediculous. you can get a whole engine for a few hundred pound (no more than £300 at a scrapyard) and get it fitted for a couple of hundred at an independant garage, although i would repair or replace the head and then hope for the best, chances are it will be fine, but if the bottom end starts knocking its time to sell it to a fool.

Ital Motors chesterfield 1150 fully fitted and warranted.
AO Member

Member car:

GT 1.9JTD 2005

mate i had my head gasket blow at speed recently it would have cost me 1500 to get the work done at alfa dealer so i did the strip down myself, had the head skimmed , valve seats re-machined and valves re-ground , while the head was being machined i cleaned up the piston crowns and checked the cylinder linings by turning the crank by hand you can tell if there is any damage , i needed to replace 2 inlet valves , the head had warped that much i had to get this done and took a chance on the bottom end but as the parts cost £200 it was cost effective to do so , i would certainly do the same if i were you, remove the cylinder head and have it tested , you have nothing to lose cos if its knackered its gotta come out anyway ? i finished yeaterday and it is now as tight as a new one its never run so well , it all buit flies now ........ good luck pal....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cambelt , dealer , main

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page