V6 24v camshafts lobe wear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By David C

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 28-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Zürich

Member car:

AR 156 3.0V6

V6 24v camshafts lobe wear

Hi,
I have seen 4 V6, two 2.5 and two 3.0. In three of them lobes look good, without any sign of wear. But fourth one (3.0) has eaten almost all lobes on all camshafts. I've replaced all camshafts and all tappets and after 40000 km you can see that the lobes are worn again. It's interesting that the lobes closer to camshafts wheels look worse. Both oil level and pressure were always good. Does anyone know, what could be the reason for that? Oil gallery is blocked? I've never had any problem with knocking tappets. Any suggestions?

Last edited by alterro; 28-10-15 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Which oil are you using?

10w-60 by any chance?
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 29-10-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Zürich

Member car:

AR 156 3.0V6

Mostly. I've used the same oil in 2.5 without any problems.
I don't have the history of this 3.0. When I got it in my hands, camshafts were already worn. So I replaced the camshafts, tappets, poured new oil in, I checked the oil pressure. But it seems that the cause is still there.

Last edited by alterro; 29-10-15 at 08:13.
AO Platinum Member

A lot of people consider 10w-60 too thick to lubricate the top of the engine properly. Being thicker it is mostly suited to hot climates or for track use, not road use in a moderate climate like in the UK (or Switzerland)

The main reason why Alfa specified it was that they had a Tie-up with Selenia, and Selenia's top spec oil was a 10w-60

10w-60 was also specified to help control oil consumption, which was a problem on some engines (Mainly the TS)

The reason why you may not have had the same issue on the 2.5 is that on that engine the oil runs hotter (therfore thinner) than on the 3.0. The reason for this is that the 2.5 only has an oil to coolant heat exchanger, where as the 3.0 and 3.2 have a proper oil to air "Radiator" which lowers temperatures considerably.

You would be better off running the 3.0 on 5w-40, or if you live in a hot climate or use the car on track use something like a 10w-50 Ester synthetic.

There is a cahnce the car may have been run for a while with a stuck open thermostat (very common problem) this will make the oil thicker still as it will be colder.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
AO Silver Member

County: -
Although I agree that 10W-60 oil is not great and actually for the 2.5 and 3.0 V6 I'm sure 10W-40 is the correct spec (10W-60 only for the 3.2 right?), it's unlikely to be the cause here. Cam lobe wear is usually caused by dirty/contaminated oil, ie missed services. As for your second failure, you replaced the camshafts with what - new Alfa parts, or 'performance' parts, or second hand? And tappets also? And the bores where the tappets run - were they checked carefully for wear/damage?
AO Member

County: Sofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
Although I agree that 10W-60 oil is not great and actually for the 2.5 and 3.0 V6 I'm sure 10W-40 is the correct spec (10W-60 only for the 3.2 right?), it's unlikely to be the cause here. Cam lobe wear is usually caused by dirty/contaminated oil, ie missed services. As for your second failure, you replaced the camshafts with what - new Alfa parts, or 'performance' parts, or second hand? And tappets also? And the bores where the tappets run - were they checked carefully for wear/damage?
10w40 is ONLY semi-synthetic..
AO Platinum Member

You can buy 10w-40 fully synthetic.

5W-40 fully synthetic is better choice though as it flows better when cold.
AO Platinum Member

There are some very high quality 10W40 Full Synthetics.
Maybe not in your local high street though.

But I really don't think the OP's problem has been caused by using 10W60 oil.
He has four V6 cars, two with 2.5V6 and two with 3.0 All running the same 10W60 oil.
Only one has the cam wear issue and it had the problem when he got the car. Cams replaced and worn again.
So there is another issue there.
I don't know the V6 well enough to say if there is an oilway that is known to block up.

Reminds me of the Fiat FIRE engine issue though where many people fit the head gasket the wrong way round.... it fits, but it blocks the main oil feed to the head. Often only gets spotted when the head gasket is done the next time!
Ian Lusso likes this.

David C

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG
2012 Renault Twingo 1.2
xAlfa 156 Selespeed sp3 + Brembo conversion
Fiat Cinquecento 899cc

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
24v , camshafts , lobe , wear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page