Alfa 147 Engine Management Light... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 08-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 147

Alfa 147 Engine Management Light...

Hey
I’ve got a 2001 Alfa 147 1.6 T.S Lusso. I’ve had her for just over 2.5 years now and she goes well (touch wood). Lately, I have had the engine management warning light appear on the dash. The first time it appeared I took her in to the local garage and they got it off for me, without being able to inform me of the exact culprit. That was perhaps a month ago and now the dreaded light has re-appeared . The guy at my local garage recommended that it could of been due to running the fuel tank too low and the engine management having to compensate for an inconsistency within the fuel, maybe due to imperfections being received from the bottom of the tank. I have run the tank low again recently (it can be observed that I have a tendency to do so), do you think this could be where my problem lies? The car operates fine apart from this horrible warning light in the dash. The local garage obviously charge just to take the light off. Is there a manual way of turning it off myself? What do you guys think? Have any of you had a similar engine management problem? To cap it off the airbag warning light has reappeared too. I had that turned off previously and had a print out saying that the “resistance” was too high. Any ideas?

Thanks
J.Sutton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Alfa 147 Engine Management Light...

there has to be a fault of some description to trigger the engine management light. Could be a misfire, wrong lambda reading, that sort of thing. The airbag fault could be a faulty "clockspring" in the steering column that transmits the electricity to the airbag thru the rotating steering wheel joint. If that goes open circuit or develops a crack in the ribbon tracks then you get an airbag warning light, maybe a CEL light too (management)

Check the connectors under the seat for the seatbelt retractors, theyre part of the airbag SRS system and cause a fault light if pulled open while moving the seat around on the runners.

Alfadiag or proper dealer diagnostics is required to pull fault codes out of pre 2001 cars, they arent OBD compatible, so ordinary code readers report no faults but accept the "clear" command anyway so the light goes away for a while.....till the fault reoccurs.

i had the dreaded Engine Management Light for weeks .. first is was a misfire on cylinder 1 and 4 . then new lambdas were needes .. now alls well and the fuel consumption is much better
Sms
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmky View Post
i had the dreaded Engine Management Light for weeks .. first is was a misfire on cylinder 1 and 4 . then new lambdas were needes .. now alls well and the fuel consumption is much better
Out of curiosity, what did your MPG change from?
Sms
AO Member

Member car:

147 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsutton View Post
Hey
I’ve got a 2001 Alfa 147 1.6 T.S Lusso. I’ve had her for just over 2.5 years now and she goes well (touch wood). Lately, I have had the engine management warning light appear on the dash. The first time it appeared I took her in to the local garage and they got it off for me, without being able to inform me of the exact culprit. That was perhaps a month ago and now the dreaded light has re-appeared . The guy at my local garage recommended that it could of been due to running the fuel tank too low and the engine management having to compensate for an inconsistency within the fuel, maybe due to imperfections being received from the bottom of the tank. I have run the tank low again recently (it can be observed that I have a tendency to do so), do you think this could be where my problem lies? The car operates fine apart from this horrible warning light in the dash. The local garage obviously charge just to take the light off. Is there a manual way of turning it off myself? What do you guys think? Have any of you had a similar engine management problem? To cap it off the airbag warning light has reappeared too. I had that turned off previously and had a print out saying that the “resistance” was too high. Any ideas?

Thanks
J.Sutton
The airbag light is to do with the connectors under the seat, so don't slam the seat back when repositioning cause it's really touchy. As with everything else to be honest! 'Gently...'

sms ... before the new lambdas i was barely getting 25mpg ... now i get about 35 id say , just run a full tank and i got about 400 miles , before id be lucky to get 300.

County: -

Member car:

How can you tell if the egr valve on my 147 is no good.I have got it off and cleaned it but I have my doubts can any one help please.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
147 , alfa , engine , light , management

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page