Rattly cluncky on gearchange and engine switch off - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 08-10-07 Thread Starter

Rattly cluncky on gearchange and engine switch off

doing gear changes from high revs and when switching off the car i get a nasty clunk.

any ideas?

a) doughnuts on prop?
b) gearbox ??? please specify!
c) other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
Re: Rattly cluncky on gearchange and engine switch off

probably all

I have a similar issue myself, and I suspect the gearbox bearings, I have changed both the do-nuts and gearbox mounts, gearbox mounts were in poor condition, but the clunk stays the same. Does it chatter at idle in neutral? if so probably the gearbox, if not, I would suspect the mounts then the doughnuts in that order. Doughnuts are easier to check as the prop has to be dropped to get at the gearbox mounts anyway.

HTH
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-07 Thread Starter

that was what i feared. just changed the clutch and the doughnuts looked ok, bit cracked but really hoped it wasnt the gearbox, oh bugger! time to get the box out again.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

you need to get under the car and listen! (ramp or similar) i had a similar noise shortly after i did a clutch on my V6, funnily enough, the noise comes from the clutch housing!
was worsened while the engine was not idling smoothly, but nearly went once she was sweet again....

I though they all did that, my Alfetta did for 30,000 miles and my present 75 does as well. Had the gearbox done on my 1st 75 years ago and I seem to remember it did it but to a lesser degree.
I just declutch as I turn off and the Alfetta only did it at slow tickover so I just turned it up a tad.
Sometimes its best just to accept it as a feature rather than try to cure it at great expense!

Mark
AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Sounds like the gearbox mounts are shagged to me. There are two at the front of the box and one at the rear and they do wear out frequently.

When the rubbers fail, the box sways around and the prop whacks the transmission tunnel. It will be especially noticable on quick gear changes. Not a big job, but awkward.

Mine chattered at idle till' I increased it to 900rpm & its been fine since! From cold it idles at 1200rpm until the cold start injector shuts off. Between turning off the ignition & the crank actually stopping, it gives a rattle from the box/prop, but has done so for years & the box itself is fine, tho' it always grinds going into reverse unless you have just been moving forwards in any forward gear & shift promptly to reverse & then it goes in cleanly....engaging 3rd first helps a bit, as does engaging 2nd before trying 1st with a cold box, if the car is pointing downhill I always use 2nd!
Ross.
GTV6

my prop always makes a horrible noise on idle without the clutch down, i think i've been told to balance the prop

AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands

if it were the prop it would vibrate all the time,
if it were the mounts it would do it when eg changing gear

the reason I think its gearbox bearings is it goes when the clutch is depressed so there are no moving parts in the box, if eg the box is in neutral and the clutch up it chatters, its consistent with worn bearings, when I get round to putting my new box with LSD on I expect my chatter to go ( as long as the new one is not knackered as well)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cluncky , engine , gearchange , rattly , switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page