cam belt went bang - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 03-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

cam belt went bang

my friend's 147 2.0's cam belt went at high revs the other day and it sounds like a nasty one. the garage it was taken too were being all nice about it saying it should be between £400 and £600. now they've had a look about and said it's going to be £1,500

i know it's bound to have done loads of damage but we could have got it done cheaper from the off.

there's various engines available from £650 on eBay. i know you can't be sure of the state of them but you takes your chances. one there for £900 that's got 40K done.

then there's a place going to collect and fit with 6mth warranty for £1,300 (Ital-Autos)

couple of questions for you:

anyone had dealings with Ital-Autos or any other recommendations/places to avoid?

now the biggy....she had the car serviced in oct last year. yearly service and it had done 50k (ish) - at the time alfa said 70k for cam belt. it's now done 60k, due service next month and upon alfa's new instruction would have had cam belt work done. i saw something about an ARUK fund for cam belt work due to change. anyone aware of how she might get some of this?

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: cam belt went bang

ouch! I heard someone on here saying good things about auto-ital, no dealings with them myself but you're right, another motor is the better option. The engine will be wrecked, you know it. A rebuild would only delay the inevitable now (the Exploding Engine Trick that TS's seem to be fond of after a belt break is repaired)

Convert it to a JTD!!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 03-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

cheers

but a diesel alfa? dica non è così
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenh View Post
cheers

but a diesel alfa? dica non è così
Lol! I wouldnt convert it anything other than it was already. You'd have to reregister the new engine plus insurance etc.. Waste of time and money. Just get a new engine. The big ends tend to go shortly after a cambelt failure so I hear.

Try Mitchells Dismantling for a new engine! http://www.mitchelldismantling.co.uk...ges/page_1.php

OA
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

update:

original garage it was taken to were only looking at getting the top end done. wanted £2k for complete rebuild. Ital-Autos are going to collect (60 miles) and do complete rebuild (he warned of big ends going if not) with 6 month warrenty for less than the original price. he was happy for her to go down and check them out. i've got faith, they're alfa guys so they (should) know what they're doing.

i'll keep you posted on how it goes....
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 03-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

does anyone have experience of getting money out of ARUK for cam belt claims?

cheers
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

i think they are, if the car is serviced as per their schedule, regularly paying up to half the cost... but if the car has done more than 72k and the belt has not been done, or servicing is not 100% up to dat ethen they will most likely give you nothing... needless to say if the engine has been modified (tuned) they will show you the door, and their middle finger?!

by the way, 1500 for top end rebuilt is about average
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 03-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

cheers, marko.

found what i was looking for:
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...elt-query.html

the £1,500 was from the garage AA took it to. it's getting top and bottom done for less (incl. 6 mth warranty and collection).

Ital Autos know what there doin it wil come back from them purring.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
bang , belt , cam

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page