Engine Crashed! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 29-09-07 Thread Starter

Engine Crashed!

Hi everybody!

I'm writing from Turkey. I have a 2004 156 2.0 Selespeed. Two days ago in the morning I was driving my car and the speed was about 200 km/h and suddenly the engine was crashed and I picked up some piston arms on the road. It had been 15 minutes from departure and I checked temparature and it was about 70 centigrade celcius. I'm alive as you see but it was too much noise and dirt. At last I pulled over safely and stopped.
The car is at 58000 km, 20.000km and 40.000km maintenance was ok. The authorized people from ALFA ROMEO tells that if I made less than 20000 km in a year I have to change engine oil without waiting next maintenance in a year. I changed engine oil but I canít prove it.

Can you say anything about possible reasons?

Ps. One month ago the trigger strap was broke off while I was driving at 20 km/h speed. It happend at 56.000 km and in Turkey the authorized seller tells that the strap must be changed at maintenance at 60.000 km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Re: Engine Crashed!

200km/h is around 125mph ... not far off the cars published top speed.

you can try and get Alfa to assist with the payment but if you haven't got a full service history from the dealers then any warranty is invalid. You should have had ALL oil changes done by them and ha it serviced once a year rather than by mileage.

Last edited by gazza82; 01-10-07 at 13:27.
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

When did you last check the engine oil level? some TS engines consume a lot of oil and need checked every week or two.
Also 70degC is a bit low for the engine, should have been about 85degC.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

When you say trigger strap do you mean camshaft/timing belt? if this snaps it is common for the bottom of the engine to go bang after the top is repaired.

I think trigger strap is cambelt, if that snapped and the big end shells were not replaced at same time as head repair they usaully go with catastrophic engine fail within 4k.
AO Gold Member

Yes as PhilJ says, it is likely that your bearing shells were damaged when the timing belt snapped.

This has in turn damaged your crankshaft over time and this high speed run has killed it.

The official servicing is 20,000KM/12,000Miles or every 12 months, the timing belt every 36,000 miles/ 60,000 KM.

I take it you checked the oil every week and that it was full at the time?

t-kay
I have the 2004 156 selespeed which I lost the engine yesterday. And I live in Turkey. What happened to your car? Have you fixed it? Give me a hand...

Erdinc

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
crashed , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page