Changing cam belt myself - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 24-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Changing cam belt myself

Hello all from Spain

I have an Alfa 156 2.0 TS selespeed ´99 and I´m planning to change myself the cambelt, variator and other stuff and have some doubts.

I already read Jaap Bouma´s guide and he says that it is necessary to slacken the exhaust pulley bolt. I know that inlet pulley bolts must be loosened because of the vernier, but what about the exhaust pulley?

Anyway, the home made tool showed in Bouma´s guide can´t be used for this purpose, am I right? It is perfect for variator replacement, but I can´t guess how to use it to hold the pulleys.

Hope someone can help me

Regards
Roberto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Changing cam belt myself

The exhaust cam pulley is keyed so the timing is fixed IIRC. You shouldn't need to remove it unless you are changing the bearing that the exhaust cam runs in.

As fot the pulley holding tools I fabricated 2 metal strips bent over at 90º at the ends for about 20mm, then held together with a single bolt so that they are like pair of scissors. Its quite hard to describe and I Cant take a photo...

The jobs not too difficukt but you need to be careful to get everything right. There are a couple of things on the cambelt change guide that didn't really apply or could be missed.

Simon.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio

Last edited by symon; 25-09-07 at 07:16.
AO Platinum Member

Here is a (Very) rough diagram of what used to move the pulleys. The length of the strips is around 18" and about 1" diameter. The black dot represents a bolt.

My skills in MS paint are somewhat lacking BTW so aplogies for the diagram quality...

Last edited by symon; 05-07-10 at 17:23.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 26-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Simon, the diagram is rough but very very helpful. Thank you very much

Are you sure that the pulley is keyed? A guy in another forum told me that the pulleys are not keyed to the shafts but are on tapers. Sorry but what is a taper? Maybe cone? I saw some photos of an alfa 145 2.0 TS in which exhaust pulley was keyed but can´t find the photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
The jobs not too difficukt but you need to be careful to get everything right. There are a couple of things on the cambelt change guide that didn't really apply or could be missed.
You mean something is wrong on the guide? Sorry for asking this but my english skils are

Regards
Roberto
AO Platinum Member

I am 90% sure the pullet is keyed. I had a look at the workshop manual and it shows a picure of a keyway.

Even a very tight taper could possibly allow slippage, and that would not be good for the engine.

I have changed 3 TS cambelts and I have never had a need to even undo the exhaust pulley bolt.

There is nothing really wrong with the guide, but some of it could be better explained. You will see when you do the job.

Last edited by symon; 26-09-07 at 10:32.
AO Platinum Member

Here is the page from the manual that shows the keyway on the exhaust cam.

Simon.

Last edited by symon; 05-07-10 at 17:23.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 26-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Here is the page from the manual that shows the keyway on the exhaust cam.

Simon.
Exactly, that´s the photo i mentioned on previous post, it is a draw corresponding to the 145, 146 and gtv 2.0 TS workshop manual, maybe 156 `99 is different and not keyed. Anyway, DTE indicates that the pulley must be slackened, so I will do it to prevent "surprises"

Thank you

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , changing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page