How to ID my engine type? CF1, 2 or 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 17-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Westmeath
How to ID my engine type? CF1, 2 or 3

Hi all
Getting to know my 1999 166 2.0TS by now and have added a 96 GTV 2.0TS to the family now also.

Thing is, my 166 is really not revving well at all. Did a very crude 0-60 test the other day, downhill!!! Came in about 15 seconds

Anyway, I have been reading here and suspect the MAF but also reckoned an ECU reset was a simple thing to try. Did that last night and it made very little difference at all

The thing is, I got a GTV on Friday and its the same engine and ok, I know its a smaller car, but it leaves the 166 WAY out there, so now at least I know I am not dreaming

Been looking around for prices on the MAF for my 166 and I need to identify my engine first. It has a plastic rocker cover, so its not a CF1, but I cant seem to make out the difference between a CF2 and CF3 going on this here http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_romeo_cf.shtml

Mine doesnt really look like either, but then again it kinda looks similiar to both!!!

Also, I got a great idea to swap the GTV one into the 166 to prove once and for all its the MAF, but the GTV has an alloy rocker cover so it seems its a different MAF and I couldnt swap them around?? Or am I wrong here?

Look forward to any help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 21 Old 17-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Re: How to ID my engine type? CF1, 2 or 3

Oh yeah!

Can somebody tell me where the MAF is?
I have looked at the engine and cant seem to make out exactly where it is!!! By the way, my pipe on the breather also has a split on it but I dont think thats causing the really bad acceleration. From reading the forum it would seem that this affects idling revs more than acceleration lag through the whole rev cycle
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Hi mate.

Tape up the breather pipe with good duct tape for now. It will make a difference across whole rev range its just more noticable at tickover due to the lumpiness but you will be getting a weak mixture, possibly worse at higher revs due to greater vacuum and restrictions caused by air filter etc. Its actually the air intake pipe - the concertinaered bit, but the breathers do go into this pipe. Is your split underneath the pipe? This is the usual place.
To find the MAF floow the air pipe where you have split, down to front of engine where it goes into a rectangular plastic box. This is the resonator. dropping vertically down from this the pipe goes into the air filter box. The vertical piece of pipe has a wire and attachment coming out of the back held in by two screws. this is the maf sensor.
See previous threads for removal - the screws have a safety lug in the middle so you either need the correct hex key or use pliers to undo the screws. Just check the Bosch part number on each maf, if they are same, try swap over.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

CF2 engines have a throttle cable, the CF3 doesn't. I am guessing that as a 1999 model yours will be a CF2 as CF3 was 2001 onwards.
The throttle cable is attached to the air intake hose just above the MAF on CF2 cars.

Simon.
AO Member

County: City of Zagreb
Garage

Yours is a CF2 engine as CF3 was available in late 2000.
symonh2000, if you're thinking about the electronic throttle, all 166s have it.
AO Silver Member

Ooops.

Ignore.

Repeat posting of link
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 18-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the replies
I think I will tackle the air pipe first and see if that changes anything. From what I can see its actually only split on top, even though as CrispDust says, they normally split underneath. Then again, I havent removed it to see yet, but its well split on top. ABout 3 inches of a split across the peak of one of the folds. Will try temporary repair and see if that makes a big difference and order one or find one in the meantime, although I assume theres not much point going to a breaker for the pipe if it goes quite often??
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlee View Post
Yours is a CF2 engine as CF3 was available in late 2000.
symonh2000, if you're thinking about the electronic throttle, all 166s have it.
Sorry my mistake, I thought it was only V6 cars that had the Electonic throttle, up until the CF3 cars, as per 156.
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 18-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yet again some brilliant advice here
I repaired the hose temporarily with super glue
Got into the car and took it down the road and its like a bullet! I had gone so used to giving it a bit of a rev taking off as it used to die, that when I did it just now I spun the front wheels. Couldnt get any wheels to spin before now at all!!

Next question now is regarding picking up one. Rang an Alfa dealer and was quoted approx €110-€120 for it. Seems high for a hose, but would appreciate any feedback from others who have changed theirs
AO Silver Member

County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Good news that, you must be chuffed. I suggested a duct tape repair last week though, you said you had already done that!

Surely wrapping in a quality duct tape (although not pretty) is enough or you could try a silicone repair?
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 18-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie166 View Post
Good news that, you must be chuffed. I suggested a duct tape repair last week though, you said you had already done that!
Must be thinking of somebody else maybe? I only posted about the power problem yesterday, but yeah....well chuffed with it!!!

Quote:
Surely wrapping in a quality duct tape (although not pretty) is enough or you could try a silicone repair?
Think you are right. I actually used Loctite Superglue for the temporary repair and it just goes to show how simple a fix it is. In the meantime I will keep my eyes peeled
AO Silver Member

County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Sorry about that doc! It was someone else -

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-air-duct.html
(Post Link) post #13 of 21 Old 30-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

<UPDATE>
For some unknown reason the car has gone back to the way it was only WAY worse!!! I took the hose completely off yesterday and checked it and found a "tiny" split which I hadnt seen first time and used superglue again. All the rips are held dead tight now and no leaks in said pipe. Put it back on the car and OMG, its terrible!!

Driving has become a nightmare. Cant accelerate past anything as the pickup is gone SO bad now. I am bringing it to a local guy in the morning to try reading it for faults. I went to him originally and he also said that there was no point in even trying with the rip in the hose assembly.

What I dont understand is when I stuck the rip originally, the car was flying and suddenly its just totally dead. Surely if the MAF was gone, even when I stuck the hose, it wouldnt have made a huge difference???
</UPDATE>
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
Sorry my mistake, I thought it was only V6 cars that had the Electonic throttle, up until the CF3 cars, as per 156.
The CF2 166's had cable throttle - only with the change to CF3 did the FBW system come in for the twinks....
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Only the V6 cars had the "fly by wire" throttle, at least they did up to the face lift models, not sure after that.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

no, the CF3 pre faclift cars have FBW as well...
AO Platinum Member

Maybe I was right after all then... I think the CF3 cars came in in 2001 didn't they?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

yup, round about then....although my car is an 02 it was built some time in 2001 and it's a CF3 with FBW throttle
AO Gold Member

Well, i'm confused. The brochures clearly say V6's only.............
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
Well, i'm confused. The brochures clearly say V6's only.............
The brochure, if it the same one that I have was printed in 1998 (at the 166 launch), which was before the CF3 was launched.
AO Gold Member

I suspect you are right although my brochure is 2001.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
cf1 , engine , type

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page