Engine temp gauge! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 15-09-07 Thread Starter

Engine temp gauge!

What temp should a 2.0jts engine run at? Mine seems to sit around 1/4 mark and when sitting in traffic rises to 90deg (1/2 way) and then the fan cuts in and brings it down, I would have thought it should sit around 90deg (1/2 way) and rise to 3/4 mark then have the fan cut in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Re: Engine temp gauge!

It should sit at just under 90ºC all of the time once warm. If not your thermostat is stuck open.

This is a extremely common fault on TS engined cars, the JTS thermostat is very similar (I think hose outlets differ) so it will likely apply to that as well.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordm View Post
What temp should a 2.0jts engine run at? Mine seems to sit around 1/4 mark and when sitting in traffic rises to 90deg (1/2 way) and then the fan cuts in and brings it down, I would have thought it should sit around 90deg (1/2 way) and rise to 3/4 mark then have the fan cut in?
Mine is the same. Stays around a quarter until it gets hot in traffic. Never seen it above half way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
It should sit at just under 90C all of the time once warm. If not your thermostat is stuck open.

This is a extremely common fault on TS engined cars, the JTS thermostat is very similar (I think hose outlets differ) so it will likely apply to that as well.
I did notice yesterday that some of the coolant had escaped. does that mean its overheating without me knowing? Is it an easy fix or a garage job like most things these days?
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordm View Post
Ditto, mine runs at the same gauge markings and has done from new (now have 35K on clock). Heat comes through into the cabin within 1.5mile of starting from cold, so presume thermostat is working OK, but gauge not accurate ?? Independent Alfa workshop checked out & also thought OK ! Reading details on here the TS engines run steady at 90c regardless ??
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 15-09-07 Thread Starter

Re: JTS Engine temp gauge!

Just got back from country lane blast, P**ssed some boys in an Astra that looked like had just been covered in glue and ram raided Halford's LOL . Anyway the gauge had only just reached 90 after 40min hard lane driving. Maybe it's a JTS thing, will have to check the stat in morning.
AO Member

Member car:

BMW 120d M-Sport

Mine does the same, it's never goes above 70, so I went to a garage, they hooked id up to a computer and guess what - it reads 90 degrees. So it's the gauge that shows the temperature wrong, and the thermostat is ok.

I hope I just saved you from unnecessary expenses
(Post Link) post #7 of 30 Old 15-09-07 Thread Starter

I've got a diagnostic's interface for my laptop, I hadn't thought about checking on that. guess what I'm doing in morning!
kevjtd

my jtd the same, gonna change the gauge inside the car to try a cure. best to know exactly what temp engine is running at, don't want any unneccesary problems

AO Member

Member car:

BMW 120d M-Sport

On our Slovenian Alfa forum, there are several people with the same "problem" and we all went to have it checked. The result was the same for all of us - thermostate works as it should, and replacing it would be unnecessary.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

You need a new stat. Not expensive, Jamie Porter's changed mine and my Car Care Plan warranty covered it Has improved fuel consumption too by around 1mpg ;D
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 15-09-07 Thread Starter

If the diagnostic shows temp ok then can't be stat surly must be gauge or sender?
kevjtd

check on diag comp (direct from ecu) first to check engine temp, my gauge shows around 65, engine running fine from ecu readings

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocko View Post
Mine does the same, it's never goes above 70, so I went to a garage, they hooked id up to a computer and guess what - it reads 90 degrees. So it's the gauge that shows the temperature wrong, and the thermostat is ok.

I hope I just saved you from unnecessary expenses
I had mine sitting at 70 deg when driving normally, only in traffic jams it would go to 90 deg, but when I put a new stat in it raised to 88-90 deg.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa155ae View Post
I had mine sitting at 70 deg when driving normally, only in traffic jams it would go to 90 deg, but when I put a new stat in it raised to 88-90 deg.

Ditto
kevjtd

there are two problems resulting in the same outcome a thermostat change did absoloutly nothing for mine, as has been the case with others these are really 2 seperate issues. whilst thermostats are not too bad a job to change, getting the engine temp diagnosed first is the easier/cheaper thing to do. my thermostat was over £50! the engine temp on mine IS fine , just the gauge reads wrong

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta Sprint

On my way to work this morning the gauge was 'yo-yo ing around the quarter mark!

Don't know where i am now!!

Mine does funny things all the time. It'll go up to about 90, then i think the fan cuts in and it drops down to the 70 mark. Then back up to 90, usually when I'm stood still in traffic, then back down to 70 again. That's not right, is it?!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyk View Post
Mine does funny things all the time. It'll go up to about 90, then i think the fan cuts in and it drops down to the 70 mark. Then back up to 90, usually when I'm stood still in traffic, then back down to 70 again. That's not right, is it?!

It sounds like your stat is stuck open as well.
kevjtd

Quote:
THERE ARE 2 DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT PROBELMS HERE RESULTING IN SIMILAR SYMPTOMS - 1, the thermostat CAN be faulty resulting in a low temperature reading (stuck open, etc, etc) , 2, THE GAUGE IS FAULTY! . there are a LARGE number of people who have had there cars checked (not just bunged a new stat on and hoped for the best like i did), and the engine temperature is running normal, just the gauge interprets the signal incorrectly. how the thing works is different to the old days where a resistor was simply put into the engine and hooked up to a gauge. on the 156 it works like this, there is a sensor in the thermostat housing sending the temperature reading TO THE ECU, the ecu then uses that information to set up the engine parameters such as fueling & ignition etc, the ecu then sends a signal to the gauge to show inside the car what the engine temperature is. it is here that problems CAN arrise. BEFORE going to the expense of changing a thermostat out of nothing more than hope (not that cheap an item) a diagnostic check SHOULD be done. after all if you pay a garage to fit a new stat (prob a bill of around £100) and it doesn't change a thing what have you achieved - NOTHING! please don't keep pointing the finger of blame at the poor old thermostat, if it is at fault then fair enough, just there are a large number of people coming up with the same problems , so ther IS a problem with the gauges

Hello again to all,

I have just changed my 156 Turismo 1.8 thermostat this morning and now the engine is running at the correct temperature (not the previous 65 deg) and now i actually have a heater that also works correctly as well. I am well pleased.

I can recommend www.shop4parts.co.uk for excellent service and super-fast delivery.

Supertrev. xx

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjtd View Post
THERE ARE 2 DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT PROBELMS HERE RESULTING IN SIMILAR SYMPTOMS - 1, the thermostat CAN be faulty resulting in a low temperature reading (stuck open, etc, etc) , 2, THE GAUGE IS FAULTY! . there are a LARGE number of people who have had there cars checked (not just bunged a new stat on and hoped for the best like i did), and the engine temperature is running normal, just the gauge interprets the signal incorrectly. how the thing works is different to the old days where a resistor was simply put into the engine and hooked up to a gauge. on the 156 it works like this, there is a sensor in the thermostat housing sending the temperature reading TO THE ECU, the ecu then uses that information to set up the engine parameters such as fueling & ignition etc, the ecu then sends a signal to the gauge to show inside the car what the engine temperature is. it is here that problems CAN arrise. BEFORE going to the expense of changing a thermostat out of nothing more than hope (not that cheap an item) a diagnostic check SHOULD be done. after all if you pay a garage to fit a new stat (prob a bill of around 100) and it doesn't change a thing what have you achieved - NOTHING! please don't keep pointing the finger of blame at the poor old thermostat, if it is at fault then fair enough, just there are a large number of people coming up with the same problems , so ther IS a problem with the gauges

It is quite easy to tell if the stat is to blame, firstly the car will use a lot more fuel, secondly the heater won't get very hot. Also the gauge on a car with a stuck open stat will sit low when driving, but rise to over 90C In traffic before the fans come on.
If it was the gauge, the fan would come on when the gauge was reading lower than this, as the ECU controls the fan from a different sensor to the one that the gauge runs on. Try unplugging the sensor on the thermostat housing, the fan will come on as a safety measure, but the gauge will continue to read the temperature.

If the gauge actually does reach 90 in traffic but falls lower when driving it WILL be the thermostat.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
kevjtd

Quote:
Quote:
It is quite easy to tell if the stat is to blame, firstly the car will use a lot more fuel, secondly the heater won't get very hot. Also the gauge on a car with a stuck open stat will sit low when driving, but rise to over 90C In traffic before the fans come on.
If it was the gauge, the fan would come on when the gauge was reading lower than this, as the ECU controls the fan from a different sensor to the one that the gauge runs on. Try unplugging the sensor on the thermostat housing, the fan will come on as a safety measure, but the gauge will continue to read the temperature.

If the gauge actually does reach 90 in traffic but falls lower when driving it WILL be the thermostat.
now this is something slightly different, on mine i unplugged the sensor on the thermostat housing which automatically puts the fans on (as you say for safety sake according to the ecu's opinion) but this ALSO puts the gauge down to zero surely the one sensor doing the readings for the ecu/fans . my basis for saying the gauge IS faulty cannot be discounted - i repeat, a diagnosis machine was plugged into the car, the temperature the engine is running at (as read from the ecu) IS NORMAL while the GAUGE reads low (different readings to each other. however as the car reaches nearer the temp whereby the fans cut in the gauge reads more nearer to the correct temp, not simply 20' out or anything but progressively reading wrong. i caould (and have been) live with it but i like to keep my eye on things like engine temp and if its reading incorrect can it be trusted

AO Platinum Member

It certainly isn't good if the readings can't be trusted...

I wasn't aware that the JTD used just one sensor for its temperature reading for gauge and ECU, so If I was talking complete rubbish above in relation to it please forgive me...

Surely though there must be a way of testing the sensor, normally the workshop manual will give some specifications. It may well be that the ECU is reading the correct temperature, but the actual gauge head is faulty.
kevjtd

Quote:
It certainly isn't good if the readings can't be trusted...

I wasn't aware that the JTD used just one sensor for its temperature reading for gauge and ECU, so If I was talking complete rubbish above in relation to it please forgive me...

Surely though there must be a way of testing the sensor, normally the workshop manual will give some specifications. It may well be that the ECU is reading the correct temperature, but the actual gauge head is faulty.
yes mate, thats the conclusion we had come to - that the gauge in the car was faulty. i have searched quite a bit on this forum and others worldwide and it seems there are quite a few with similar symptoms. i have changed my dials in the car this week for another 2nd hand set but although the reading changed it still wasn't quite high enough to be 'normal' while it could be forgiven for thinking ' changed dials, no difference, dials must be ok, what are the chances of getting 2 faulty dial sets ' , with the highish number of faulty dials out there it wouldn't be beyond belief to pick up another set of faulty dials. according to eper they are the same part number as the petrol versions (just different part no's available to all the range, all versions, which i presume to cover different face colours) so easy enough to get hold of a set. however if anyone wants to have a meet up with me and let me swap over the dials to try in my car , would be appreciated (as long as yours work ok that is ) , only a 10 minute job to get them out

Quote:
It should sit at just under 90C all of the time once warm. If not your thermostat is stuck open.

So just exactly how far should the gauge sit under the 90 degree mark? Mines in between the 70 and 90, closer to 90.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , gauge , temp

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page