156 cambelt damage- is the engine for the bin - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 10-09-07 Thread Starter

156 cambelt damage- is the engine for the bin

Hi all,

My names Rich - new on here & it makes interesting reading.

Lots of enteries about cambelts - just taken the cover off my 156 1.8TS which cut out, noticed that the tensioner had failed, cambelt was still on. When I tried turning it over just the big end was spinning round and stripping the belt teeth (i know that's bad !!). Anyway I can turn the bottom end by hand and it turns fully without any noises or sound of bent valves - is it possible that the tensioner failed but I've not clattered the valves ?

When turning it over with plugs in I get no resistance - thought I would - other than a compression test any ideas how I check if valves are bent ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: 156 cambelt damage- is the engine for the bin

I'm no expert, but I reckon you have the worst case scenario.: Head off job for starters?:

Last edited by zulu ferret; 10-09-07 at 17:50.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookirods1 View Post
is it possible that the tensioner failed but I've not clattered the valves?
No

Valves & pistons will have hit each other.

As ZF said, head off to start with.
AO Member

Member car:

156, 2.4jtd

Bad news is NO, there's not hope that the belt or tensioner has failed without valve damage. Sorry.

I had a cambelt snap on a transit once and did'nt get any bent valves...just put on a new belt and it was fine ...but most of the time a snapped belt means bent valves

Al
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

The Alfa engines run much tighter clearances between the pistons and the valves than some other cars, plus with there being 16 of them there is no positon where all the valves will be shut to allow the crank to continue rotating without the pistons hitting at least some of the valves.
AO Member

County: Queensland

As i undertand it the 4cyl petrol engines in the 156 are an "Interference" type, ie. a broken timing belt will cause the heads of the valves to impact the tops of the piston resulting in damage. Not all engines are "interference".

I've been lucky and never had the misfortune of a broken belt (in any car, touch wood) - on the other hand I did bounce a valve in my sprint once over reving her (sounded glorious) ... resulting in a bent (valve) stem

Just to hijack you thread ontopic of course.. does anybody know if the 1.9JTD (8valve) is an interference engine ?.. I want to know how concerned i should be about her cambelt. I'm guessing it is pic link

Last edited by craig_m67; 11-09-07 at 22:53.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire

Agreed that the valves WILL be bent...sorry. Also at the risk of being repetitive - I say this a lot on here....I highly recommend dropping the sump and changing the big end shells when the head is reconditioned - the piston-meeting-valves scenario often causes the big end shells to get nipped, resulting in bottom end failure shortly after a cambelt failure....

A second-hand replacement engine will cost about £700 - there are people on Ebay - one near me called Engine Express - offering rebuilt heads for about £320 including gaskets IIRC. A belt and tensioner kit is about £100 - tho shop4parts have the kit on offer this month....

Hope this helps.

Richard

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , bin , cambelt , damage , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page