Joy for the engine light ;) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 09-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Joy for the engine light ;)

Well chaps,

My engine light is again on. The last two times it came on was due to a wire being loose in or around the coil packs in which the dealer re wired it and all was good for about 3 months.

The first time the light came on was after the dealer did the major service and replaced the cambelts etc.

My question is during this process what is the chance of them disturbing something to do with the coil packs which causes the engine light to intermediately come on?

I am again taking the car down to get it diagnosed sometime this week

Cheers Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Joy for the engine light ;)

SNAP! same story different driver. Mines been on and off a lot, I suspect they serviced it and dropped in a smaller 2.0 air filter rather than the 3.0 for me, or they got oil in there... Common problem - oh, you drive a 2.0 hymmm.... Then possibly your maf is just starting to go on the blink... Drive nice and easy for 10 drives and it should reset (mine does 4 times on/off so far)...
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 12-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Go the MAF!

Well the light went off as per nomal after about two days. car being diagnosed on Monday, will keep you posted on the problem

Cheers Josh

Very interested - as you have the EXACT same stuff happening as me...
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 17-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well Alfy was diagnosed today.

The error was exactly the same as the previous 3 times. There is a problem with the coil pack or somewhere in this area. The dealership ahs swapped coil packs to no avail and are now 99.9% sure the coil pack and associated wiring are not at fault.

They are not exactly sure as to what the problem is but have a very similar problem with a GT which turned out to be an intermittent problem with an injector.

My car shows no signs of any trouble when the light is on so i will wait until something dies. My alfa dealership however out of the goodness of their hearts have put through a claim to get the injectors replaced under warranty sighting the problem occurred when the car was still under warranty which it did.

Will await the good or neutral news, as with this case i have no problems when the light comes on and until i do it can stay on

Cheers Josh

Josh - are you seeing / feeling any loss of power? if not its most likely a non lethal problem. The computer they plugged in - should have pointed to the fault.

Mines back on again and I know its when I rev in 3rd to 100mph that does it, I cant resist sometimes, but the car is great 99% of the time.

Try and get them to test the MAF and the lamda sensors as they are 85% of the time the lights main reason to come on.

Cheers buddy.
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 20-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hey,

I get no loss of power or anything, its as if the light isn't even on which is funny but good at the same time as it points as you said to a 'non lethal problem'.

The dealership never mention the MAF or Lambda sensors i will see what they have to say when they call me about the injectors.

Cheers Josh

lol thats the top issue on the GTV. In fact try this link to sort out your issues:

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_diagnostic.shtml
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 21-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

lol i learnt this very quickly that the MAF and various other sensors are plagued

Thanks for the site reference, i will keep you psoted on what Alfa have to say i nthe next week or so.

Cheers Josh
AO Member

County: Porto

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Hi there,

This is kind of a dead thread.... But anyways...

Here's my thing:

I have had my brand new 2nd hand 147 1.6TS for only 2weeks and a half or so.

I'll present the car properly as soon as I have taken some pics :-)
Suffice to say it's from 2001, and has about 65.000kms (40.300miles) and has been more or less without use since last october(2008).

I washed it for the second time last saturday, and took it to the uplands to make him "cough" a little :-) I did some rally like night driving - 3rd and 4th gear
It's not the first time I've pushed it , but it had been only on the high way, not mountain roads.

The weather got rather hot, and the car's on board computer was claiming some 44c (111F) outside. But the car handled great!
The temperature has been always dead on 90c while idling or city driving, and 75c when picking up speed.

The only thing worse mentioning is that I started hearing some rubber like sound coming from the suspension yesterday.

Can it be related to to heat? Could it be related to the washing?
I'm mentioning this because the engine light came out today and won't turn off.
You were talking about "coil packs"? And I started putting 2 and 2 together... :-/

Any thoughts?
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
What exactly is the error your getting? Have Alfa given you the fault code? If not ask them for it!

I don't think a duff coil pack / wiring will actually show up as its own error. Mostly likely your getting Cylinder Misfire errors, which could be any number of things. You need 4 things to get a cylinder to fire, air, fuel, compression & spark, any one of which would cause a misfire if out of spec.

I have a 1.8 that used to misfire at random intervals until eventually that cylinder wouldn't fire at all. Compression test revealled no compression on that cyclinder in the end and once I removed the head the problem was clear, one of the valves was knackered.

Not that i'm saying yours is likely to be as severe, just that there are many potential reasons for a misfire.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phear View Post
What exactly is the error your getting? Have Alfa given you the fault code? If not ask them for it!

I don't think a duff coil pack / wiring will actually show up as its own error. Mostly likely your getting Cylinder Misfire errors, which could be any number of things. You need 4 things to get a cylinder to fire, air, fuel, compression & spark, any one of which would cause a misfire if out of spec.

I have a 1.8 that used to misfire at random intervals until eventually that cylinder wouldn't fire at all. Compression test revealled no compression on that cyclinder in the end and once I removed the head the problem was clear, one of the valves was knackered.

Not that i'm saying yours is likely to be as severe, just that there are many potential reasons for a misfire.
Haven't taken it to ALFA, or anywhere for that matter!
The onboard computer says something like:
"Engine controller failure" - I guess it's a general message.
I'm also considering something MAF related, as inquired by me on this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...eels-like.html

Thanks in advanced.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
Trying to diagnose it without the specific error code is futile. Get the error code read, then you can start trying to figure out the cause.
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 13-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phear View Post

Hi this is true, the service department after supposedly investigating determined it was being caused by either a faulty coil pack or wiring problem. I still have the engine light come on to this day (1.5 years later) about once a month
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderme View Post
Hi this is true, the service department after supposedly investigating determined it was being caused by either a faulty coil pack or wiring problem. I still have the engine light come on to this day (1.5 years later) about once a month
Could it be the air filter?
(Post Link) post #16 of 18 Old 14-06-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi,

The light came on about one and a half years ago, 1 year ago i replaced the air filter with a BMC high flow one which does not seem to have effected the frequency of the light or anything like that.

It very interesting that the light first came on after i had my belts replaced. I tried to pin it on the Alfa dealer to no avail both them and Ateco told me where to go- Safe to say i no longer use them and they continuously send me special offers in the mail

Cheers Josh
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
I have owned a 3.0 V6 Spider since new in 2001. After 128k miles its now off the road with cracked cylinder head and its not economical to repair.

Anyway.... In the time that I had the car the engine management light was on more than off ! The 1st time was when it was 9 months old with 12k miles on the clock, alfa dealer diagnosed a Llamba sensor, which was replaced - this was ok until I came to pick up when the light came on almost immediately. They had it back and read the code - a single code from the sensor! Reset light.

Anyway, on and off for 5 years the light was on then of then on.... no one could diagnose it until I took the car to an independent. After having the car for a week (!) they diagnosed both the coil problem and the MAF problem. replacing the MAF and fixing the coil wiring I then drove the car for 12months without the light on

The I let the car overheat!!!!!

Not sure what to do now, car not worth anything with duff engine, gearbox that makes a racket, paint peeling from bonnet (resprayed under warrantee @ 2.5 years), wall rash on front bumper from 5mph touch, drivers window doesnt go down, or up if you get it down! (I had two window winder mechanisms replaced under warrantee!) and lots of other electrical issues.

Would I have another? probably not!

Last edited by Rich_wookey; 13-08-09 at 15:06. Reason: typo
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6TS 2001

gosh!!!
Really sorry to hear!

A 3.0 V6 spider, is not a punto 1.0 :-(

I know people will just say:
- oh! You got a BAD ONE, coming out from the factory!
Things like the one you describe CAN NOT "just happen" :-(

I hope my second hand 147 doesn't come to that...
...And I hope, that your problems were unrelated to the engine light! :-)
Best of luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , joy , light

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page