Chose the best oil for my engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 08-09-07 Thread Starter

Chose the best oil for my engine

Hi mates.I want your opinio about something that bothers me a lot at this time.I have heard that the selenia engine petrol oil 20k 10-40 will be out of line at the moment because FIAT has ended the partnership with FLGroup.I am thinking to place a different oil brand at my engine and i want your opinion about Liqui Moly 10-40.Are they good for my engine.I have an 147 105 bhp and until now i used to place the selenia 20K 10-40.Do you have anything else to suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Chose the best oil for my engine

My 1.8 and 2.0 have enjoyed Shell fully syntetic in 5w-40. But with reduced change interval.
I have tried different Castrols and Mobil1, but the engine noise did not sound as silky and the oil consumtion went up.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 08-09-07 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaAlfa View Post
My 1.8 and 2.0 have enjoyed Shell fully syntetic in 5w-40. But with reduced change interval.
I have tried different Castrols and Mobil1, but the engine noise did not sound as silky and the oil consumtion went up.
It wouldn't be wise to me to stay at 10-40.After all alfa romo says 10-40.
AlfaLincs

Fiat sold its interest in FL some years ago. It went into private equity and has since been resold again quite recently to KKR.

I think the company still has a massive interest in supplying the products that Fiat wants, so whilst I may think that Selenia is expensive for what it is, there is absolutely no reason to stop using it, or to think that the product is somehow 'not what it was'. Its fine, so my advice is to keep using it if you have been happy with it.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

So what is so special about Selenia then? A good quality oil is a good quality oil, and I see no reason why Alfa engines require anything different to any other engine.

Surely it's just a sales plot hatched between Fiat group and Selenia to sell oil at inflated prices (I've never bought Selenia by the way, so have no idea what it costs).
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159sw 2.4 ti!

well my local indy sells 2 litres for £13
a quick poke of the halfrauds website shows:
castrol gtx 1 ltr £6.99
Mobil super s 1ltr £7.49

ah, but when you look a the prices of 4 litre bottles the selenia is a rip off.
I have forgotten how much the indy charges for 4ltr, might have been £22
AO Member

County: North Ayrshire

Car Manufacturers normally define what oils are used in their engines during the design phase of the engines. Changing or using different oils is up to the owner of the car and what he/she feels is the best in their nominal opinion. Examples below.

Alfa Romeo engines prefer Selenia
Renault engines prefer Elf
Citroen engines prefer Total
Ferrari and Maserati engines prefer Agip
Lotus engines prefer Castrol
VW/Audi engines prefer their own spec oil

The list goes on and on.

In my opinion a 16V Alfa engine should use 10w/40. A 8V engine should use 15w/40 and a 24V engine should use 5w/40. From my expirence using alternate oils is not viable. 6000mile oil changes are a joke anyway, why do the alfa romeo dealers in Italy do oil changes every 5000Km. which is about 3000miles.

20% of the detergents and 40% of the oil properties are lost in the 1st 2500miles anyway. Which makes sense doing oil changes every 3000miles anyway. Your oil should only discolour above 3500 miles, if not then the properties of oil of COOLING, LUBRICATION and FILTRATION are not being met. Hence piston ring blow past and oil getting burn't and engine getting too hot.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

A 5w-40 fully synthetic is fine for the TS, thats what I have generally been using.
The 40 part of the grade is what really matters as this is the oils viscosity at 100C.
AO Member

Member car:

thats why I use millers 10-60 fully synth racing oil

but if anyone knows where I can grab hold of some Slick50 fully synth I would be interested.. best oil I know of for my racing engines at the moment how ever is silkolene
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

A good fully synthetic 5w40, 10w40 or 10w60 should be fine - everyone has their own preference.

The local Alfa dealer here uses BP Visco 5000 which appears to cope fine especially considering the weather here. Oil change about every 5000kms, hence my quest to fit a remote oil filter to my V6 because normal oil filter change is a nightmare.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
chose , engine , oil

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page