Timing belt and Tensioners - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 06-09-07 Thread Starter

Crazed Timing belt and Tensioners

Hi y'all

I recently bought a 147 with 34k on the clock. It drives really smoothly and i can say i have no complaints so far. But having read a little bit of the information on this forum it appears that i'm at the prime time for a replacement of cam/tming belt and tensioners.(?)

I intend to do this as soon as possible, but i would just like to be clear on what it is I would geting done.

In the case of the timing belt, is it better to replace with a chain or to stick with the rubber belts?

I also recall reading about different types of tensioners available, if its not to much to ask what are the varieties available and their relative merits?

Just to note i'm in the north London area if anyone knows of a good garage with reasonable prices where i could get this done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
Re: Timing belt and Tensioners

There is no option to use chain instead of rubber belt. I think the old 8V Twin Spark used chain long time ago but all 16V TS engines are driven by belts only.

I think somebody will come soon and post the part number for the new tensioner.

Maybe you could change the water pump as well. The old one has plastic propeller, new one metallic. Itís not expensive and is on the same belt. If you do a little search here for "variator" you will be tempted to change this one as well
(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 06-09-07 Thread Starter

Think i got confused on the chain timing belt by something I read on here that was probably referring to a different car.

Just did a bit of research on the variator and for the moment the car is very quiet.

I did drive a selespeed earlier today that groaned in the way described though. That was quite a rough unrefined drive. So i'm thinking mine might not yet be in need of replacing.

Ta for zee info
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Ford Fiesta ST 3

you'll need the aux belt and if it's a 2.0l the balance belt as well.

Watch out for oil leaks afterwards too. Our 147 had a leaky head gasket following the change, they fixed it FOC of course.
AO Member

Member car:

Bishop, If you get a diesel type noise on start up it would be worth changing the cam variator while the cam belt is being changed.

Enjoy the 147
(Post Link) post #6 of 26 Old 06-09-07 Thread Starter

alfapersius: Mine is a 1.6 16v but if i am to understand you correctly i'm in need of a timing belt, tensioners and an aux belt as well? All adds up doesn't it

Just to be clear no diesal esque sounds on startup.

ps. stephenb i'm deffo enjoying so far. Think I might stay Italien for a good while.
Darren156

Yeah, what you need replacing is ideally the following mate:

Cam Belt
Tensioners (Upgrade to Metal)
Water Pump (Upgrade to metal impellor one)

Make sure they do the tensioners though because it is usually the wear on them that causes the belt to slip and make a horrible thing happen.

Membro Medio

To sumarize

You really need:
  • timing belt
  • tensioner (fixed)
  • tensioner (adjustable)

You should change as well:
  • aux belt
  • tensioner (fixed)
  • tensioner (adjustable)

Optional:
  • water pump (it is cheap and on the same belt)
  • variator (fails unpredictably regardless of mileage on many TS engines and if you ar unlucky it can fail on yours and you have to pay the cambelt job again to get it sorted)
AO Member

County: Tasmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotcha View Post
........[*]variator (fails unpredictably regardless of mileage on many TS engines and if you ar unlucky it can fail on yours and you have to pay the cambelt job again to get it sorted)[/LIST]
I'll second that - the variator on our 147 failed almost immediately after the cambelt/tensioner replacement. - more $$$$s

You'd be mad not to replace the variator at the same time as the belts.

SS
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Not sure that there is a metal impellor option on the water pump on the TS ... that's for the V6.

The new 159 JTS engines have chain driven cams ... who will be the first to drop one in their 156 I wonder?

Bishop: If you don't mind a drive, then AlfaWorkshop in Royston Herts are reputed to do a good job and at a fixed price. I've also heard of AforAlfa in Aylesbury who do a similat priced change, but I don't have any reports on them yet.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Yes - replace the variator. Mine went 5k after the first belt change so I had 31k of driving around with an annoying rattle - does no harm but does not sound good.

Budget an extra £100 or so.

Paul.
AO Gold Member

IIRC the low BHP 1.6 doesn' t have a variator, only the higher BHP engine.
AO Gold Member

Veloces are offering a timing belt replacement if you book on the internet. 1.6 is £260 plus VAT.

link
AO Member

County: Essex

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_r...ng_belts.shtml

Not used them myself, but have only seen rave reviews on this forum.

I am glad to hear that there is no real problem if the variator is not changed. I still have 8000km for the 120k service where i will change all the suggested from you guys parts.
* timing belt
* tensioner
* aux belt
* water pump

Any other reccomendation for the 120k service?

I have already changed the variator (FOC) at 60K but after 10k the noise started.
What they have done at the alfa romeo workshop was to give more tension to one of the belts (not sure which) to decrease the noise but the noise is still there and now I've got the extra whistle of the belt.

I brought my car from Cyprus to Belgium where I leave permanently now and I hope somebody will suggest me where to go for my service.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delis View Post
What they have done at the alfa romeo workshop was to give more tension to one of the belts (not sure which) to decrease the noise but the noise is still there and now I've got the extra whistle of the belt.
Sounds like a real bodge .... that is never going to stop a noisy variator, just put more stress on all the belts and tensioners ...

What is the noise you are talking about? does you car sound like a diesel when it first starts from cold, or is it more of a whining sound?

Sounds like you need to get this looked at sooner rather than later.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Quote:
Maybe you could change the water pump as well. The old one has plastic propeller, new one metallic.

I'm pretty sure the water pumps on the T.S. engines are fine, and do not have this plastic impellor problem. It is the 2.5 V6 water pump that suffers from cracked plastic impellors, and the solution is to replace it with the waterpump from the 3.0 V6 in the GTV... I'm pretty sure this is NOT a problem on the T.S. or JTD engines.

Quote:

Optional:
  • water pump (it is cheap and on the same belt)
  • variator (fails unpredictably regardless of mileage on many TS engines and if you ar unlucky it can fail on yours and you have to pay the cambelt job again to get it sorted)
Definitely get variator done, its unlikely it'll make it til your next belt change, in which case you'll need to take all the belts off to replace it, costing even more money. A variator is about £80, which is what you'll save if it works til your next belt change (unlikely). If you need to get your belts changed again, thats another £200-£400 odd quid you'll have lost. Not worth the risk IMO.

The extra noise i get is the whistle from the belts and this is because they made them more tight to get rid of the variator noise.

Now the variator noise only occurs at the startup for some seconds and then it stops.

I hope that there would be no problem till my service.
AO Gold Member

Variator works on OIL PRESSURE. If it is noisy at startup, then that because the oil has drained out, or the oil is thin. If it continues to sound like a diesel then the variator is worn and needs to be replaced.

When did you last change the oil? It might be worth trying an oil change.

And one or two people have used ENGINE FLUSH to clean the engine oil ways first, then refilled with 10W60 rather than 10W40.

I'm concerned that by tightening the belts they are going to cause a tensioner to fail ...

Help Re: Timing belt and Tensioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
IIRC the low BHP 1.6 doesn' t have a variator, only the higher BHP engine.
is that true, i've been told the 156 1.6 16v ts has a variator??? ?
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9myj View Post
is that true, i've been told the 156 1.6 16v ts has a variator??? ?
It has. 156 was available only with 120 bhp 1,6TS (with variator). Only 147 gets the non-variator 1,6TS version as well.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Gotcha is correct, in the 156 there was only a 120bhp (variator) 1.6.

In the 147, you could have a 105bhp (no variator) 1.6, or the 120bhp with variator.
(Post Link) post #23 of 26 Old 17-09-07 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information shared in this thread. I was unable to respond earlier due being away from the net all of last week.

I spoke to veloces about getting my belt and tensioners done, and they sounded very reasonable. He also said he'd have a look at my variator and determine if that needeed changing as well.

But thanks again as this thread really helped me out.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Thing is tho Bishop, it might not need changing now, but it might do in a years time, in which case its full cambelt job again, for the sake of £80 or so.

Do the variator, then you can forget about it for 3 years or 36,000 miles whichever is sooner. I guarantee you if you don't change it, it will fail. It's called "Sod's Law", and inflicts Alfa Owners with particular venom
Darren156

Ah, Dan doth speak of 'The Law of the Sod'...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , tensioners , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page