Here's an overheat question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 04-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Berkshire
Garage
Arrow Here's an overheat question

Hi

What cooked first: the chicken or the egg?

I've a 155 1.8 sport. 8valve. Serious overheat led to replacing knackered water pump, thermostat and head gasket.

Thermostat was only a couple of years old. Rest is probably original.

Any ideas what the originating problem was ? For example does a thermostat get damaged if overheated?

What's the usual pattern of failure on these engines?

Be interested to know your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
How old was the coolant? Out of date coolant can destroy a cooling system and engine block over a couplea years.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
How old was the coolant? Out of date coolant can destroy a cooling system and engine block over a couplea years.
Not more than two years but my be the % was too low. My gut feel is the head was going...the overflow bottle is dirty brown...like the soil colour of the Spanish region the car lives in. But it didn't seem like oil...
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Its very rare for a faulty thermosat to cause overheating, they are designed to fail in the open position to just cause the engine to run cold. This is for any engine.

What was wrong with the pump.? Leaking or the impeller come loose.? chances are that it was either the lack of coolant circulation either by the pump not pumping or because of air in the cooling system that caused the engine to overheat which then blew the head gasket
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post
Its very rare for a faulty thermosat to cause overheating, they are designed to fail in the open position to just cause the engine to run cold. This is for any engine.

What was wrong with the pump.? Leaking or the impeller come loose.? chances are that it was either the lack of coolant circulation either by the pump not pumping or because of air in the cooling system that caused the engine to overheat which then blew the head gasket
Thanks, I'll be having a look at the parts in a few weeks. I'm not exactly sure but suffice to say I don't have a problem replacing water pump or thermostat (again) along with head gasket.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 28-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JON156VELOCE View Post

I've posted on a new thread - head gasket...looks like that went after wearing away!
AO Member

County: Sofia
Did the fans turn when they were supposed to ?
AO Member

County: Somerset
Hi might be big air loock,first head gasket gone this might let air to the system as u don't need Mach to overheat engine,Olso clogged rad,or fan running on one speed(u have two speeds),fermostat can be faulty and did not allow coolant to travel to matrix that's whay people say if yors car overheat turn heat in car as water going to matrix so circulate in block......

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
overheat , question

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page