Sportwagon Centre Belt Jammed. Heeelp! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 03-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Help Sportwagon Centre Belt Jammed. Heeelp!

Hi,

I am having a spot of trouble with my rear centre belt, and wonder if anyone else has had this, or knows how to solve it.

I lowered my rear seat earlier today while installing cables for a stereo upgrade. Upon trying to raise the seat again, I found it stuck fast. The centre belt - which runs from the top of the seat to the anchor point in the chassis - had jammed, and, as the belt retracts during folding down, would not allow the seat to be lifted.

I've taken the back off the seat (after trying the obvious such as retracting the belt as much as possible etc), but that doesnt actually give access to the belt reel.

Eventually I had to reach under the seat with a 17mm socket and undo the bet at the anchor point. Even though the seat is now back up, the belt is going nowhere, and is hanging oh-so elegantly over my back seat, complete with mounting bolt.

Is there a way to free these dammned things without stripping the seat down?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.4 TI

Re: Sportwagon Centre Belt Jammed. Heeelp!

i've never looked at the belts in the back of a sportwagon but the same thing happened withe the second car in the family which is a modeo.

after dropping the rear seat the seat belt was jammed solid in the retracted position. the belts on modeos are built into the frame of the rear seat. after googling for awhile the solution was fairly simple.

drop the seat back down again and then make sure it is slammed back into place with resonable force. the belt was then free to move again.

The belts lock in position when its down but if the seat doesnt quite engagge properly when the seat is returned to upright then it remains in the locked position.

i know this is on your alfa but suspect its possibly the same problem as it only occured when your seats had been dropped. are the cables you routed stopping the seat locking fully in place ?

worth a try

gorf1971
AO Member

Member car:

GT Q2 & 156 SP2

My centre belt in the GT is exactly like this, even has the bolt dangling around like yours !

I'd love to know the answer as well
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 159 2.4 TI

Just noticed the typo on my previous post. it should read Mondeo not modeo ! lol
AO Member

County: North Ayrshire

I have a sportwagon as you mention, but my wifes previous car was a Stilo Multiwagon, which has the same design of seatbelts. The locking that you see in the centre is down to the back support. When she was loading a wardobe into it, after when she was putting it up and put the kids in the belt would not move.

What you have to do is make sure the rear upper locaters are properly located. To release the belt, make sure these locaters are located. Only way that you will know this is make sure that you have slammed back this part of the bench. For some reason that is unknown this removes the problem and then you can used the seatbelt at your leisure.
(Post Link) post #6 of 7 Old 05-09-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for all the replies so far!

The belt actually freed itself for all of a few seconds last night, I hadn't even moved the car or the seat since!
Obviously, it hasn't stayed un-jammed, that would be too easy, and would mean I had accidentally climbed into my Toyota Hilux. (14 years old, owned for the last 3, 150,000km and still waiting for one single problem!)

Anyway, I digress.... I've had a go at slamming the seat back up, several times with increasing severity (caused by me getting more pi**ed off with it after each slam). Unfortunately no luck there. The latches are engaging correctly on the seat backs, but I assume this shouldn't be an issue as the belt should be free to move when the seat is down anyway - if it isn't, you can't lift it back up!

If I do find a solution, I will post it here. Until then though, I suppose the answer is to carry no more than 4 in the car. Problem solved then!

Please please please does anyone have a practical solution to this problem, as my car has actually failed the MOT with this problem and while trying to free the belt I put the back of the seat down, the belt has retracted further and now I can't even put the seat back up

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , centre , heeelp , jammed , sportwagon

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page