2.0jts FAULT CODES p0120,p1121,p1122 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By cra
  • 1 Post By sensingsys

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

2.0jts FAULT CODES p0120,p1121,p1122

Multiscan give this 3 faults, when erased those faults car drives normal for 500 mtrs en than hesitates and less more power. what do i have to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cra
AO Member

County: Hordaland
Perhaps cleaning connectors in engine bay?
Just what I found, from a quick search here on forum.
Afco likes this.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
First thing, find out what the codes mean, googling 'fault codes' gave me a lot of references to OBD, googling 'OBD fault codes' led me to Complete List of OBD Codes: Generic OBD2 (OBDII) & Manufacturer | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support. checking your numbers shows that all those codes refer to the throttle position sensor.

Next get the GTV/Spider repair instructions, a link is available on the GTV/Spider forum - do a search there.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 31-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensingsys View Post
First thing, find out what the codes mean, googling 'fault codes' gave me a lot of references to OBD, googling 'OBD fault codes' led me to Complete List of OBD Codes: Generic OBD2 (OBDII) & Manufacturer | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support. checking your numbers shows that all those codes refer to the throttle position sensor.

Next get the GTV/Spider repair instructions, a link is available on the GTV/Spider forum - do a search there.
OK, butt what thous this mean and what to do. I have a spare throttle house with the switch on that i mounted and ................exactly the same faults. First i did a reset and after 200 mtr with full throttle open exactly the same faults
Can you give me the link to do the search on the forum because i dont find it

P0120 Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Malfunction
P1121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage
P1122 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent Low Voltage

Last edited by Afco; 31-07-15 at 15:19.
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
I have zero experience with throttle problems, but I will try to assist.

There are three parts to the throttle control, the accelerator pedal potentiometer [L49], the ECU and the throttle actuator [S59]. L49 connects directly to the ECU, S59 connects to the ECU via plug/socket G133b.

Electrical drawings for these and a description of their operation are here http://sensingsys.myzen.co.uk/GTV JT...e drawings.pdf
Location of G133b is here it is one of the two plugs http://sensingsys.myzen.co.uk/plugs location.jpg it is one of the two plugs ringed in yellow.

I did a search for P0120 on the alfaowner home page and got 51 results, mostly to do with the JTS engine, I looked at about a dozen but there did not seem to be any definitive fix.

Personally I would suspect the pedal position sensor or its connector as P0120 specifically mentions "Throttle Pedal Position". It is supposed to be very awkward to get to though. A new one costs about £600!
Afco likes this.

Last edited by sensingsys; 01-08-15 at 09:34. Reason: update
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 03-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Thanks for the assist
I found the connector near the throttle pedal and when disconnecting him i found out there is some grease in it, maybe that s causing the problem so i cleaned it out and reconnected it. For the moment the problem is i cant make a test drive because at this time i have no MOT. Other wise in the same area at the other side of the pedal i found 2 male and 1 female white connectors all of them with 2 wires in, non of them are connected to anything and on first sight have nothing to do with the throttle pedal. The female connector fits in both of them .
Anyone knows if i got to connect them and whats the purpose of them?
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 12-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Back again, cleaned all connectors ( 2 = one at the pedal and one at the throttle body ) cleaned the the throttle housing. After 2 starts the same faults are back again. Then placed the old throttle house , exactly the same faults.
Is there a special way to learn in the throttle pedal position on the JTS or is this the same as on a TS?
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 18-08-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

After i opened the mechanical/electrical housing of the throtlle body i cleaned the electrical splines in the housing the faults are gone and the car drives better butt not as smoothly as i wish

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
20jts , codes , fault , p0120 , p1121 , p1122

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page