36K Cam Belt change for the GT JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 31-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Brera S

36K Cam Belt change for the GT JTDm

Don't know if this has already been posted but I've just came off the phone with Alfa UK who now say that the Cam belt on the Diesel GT is to be inspected at the 36K service and replacing if required (obviously). The service and inspection can be carried out at a non-authorised dealer (Alfa parts etc.) Alfa will then make a contribution/pay for the change to be conducted at an authorised service centre if the car has full service history/correct service intervals etc. Hope this clears things up,although this came from Alfa UK so don't quote me on it!

It's still a bit vague for me, if ALFA will pay for a replacement then who is not going to get it changed?

If she said "it's me or the Alfa" would you miss her ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

159Ti

Re: 36K Cam Belt change for the GT JTDm

Quote:
inspected at the 36K service
Would someone please explain exactly HOW you inspect a belt without removing it. Are dealers honestly going to strip it apart and then tell you that it doesn't need doing??

When mine was removed (in pieces at 60k) it was a real mess. There were several small tears across the width other than the one that actually gave way. I'll be doing mine early in future, just in case.

Diesel cambelts lasting 36k miles is a joke. Several mechanics I know reckon that VW belts virtually never break early, and they look the same. Alfa must be making them out of spaghetti
AJB
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Checking the cambelt at 36k service appears to be part of that service.
When my 2004 GT JTD was serviced at 36,000 miles last March at Fish Bros at Swindon they tried to inspect the cambelt as part of that service but then phoned to say that they could not remove an inspection cover since the screw was cross-threaded into the block. They said they needed to remove the engine to drill it out but it would be covered by the 3rd year warranty.
They ended up replacing the cambelt and tensioner, but also the waterpump as it showed signs of leaking - fortunately all done under warranty.

Incidentally, VW seem to be as cautious as Alfa about cambelts now, at least on petrol engines. The local dealer says that the cambelt must be replaced on my wife's 2003 Polo Twist 1.4 petrol which has only covered less than 35,000 miles, because it is now 4 years old!
The handbook had stated that it should not need replacing until 120,000. The dealer says that it is a generic page which does not apply to this model and that, anyway, VW have now changed the service requirement.
AO Member

County: Midlothian

the cam belt on my GT jtd was inspected at 3 years / 30K miles by a main dealer - it was found to be 'defective' and replaced under warranty
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

From what I gather its the waterpump seizing that causes the belt to snap, not the belts themselves being poor quality.

So inspecting the belt at 36k will not achieve anything IMO, unless they change the pump as well whilst it is apart.
AO Gold Member

The issue of the waterpump obviously applies to the 156 1.9 JTD 16v as well. I really wish Alfa Romeo would get their act together over the issue of waterpump/timing belts on this engine. I have spoken to several main dealers about this issue, and they are all quite adamant that there are no problems whatsover with the waterpump/belt on this engine. Are they in denial or what??
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Have a look for my thread under "Has my love gone done the pan".

Having the dealer change the water pump before the end of the warranty period is going to save you loads.
AO Platinum Member

There was a turbo diesel Saab by the side of the road with the bonnet up on the way home from work. I felt like stopping and suggesting what the cause might be.. As that Saab shares the same engine.
AO Member

County: Derbyshire

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

Denial of an issue removes all responsibility from the dealer and also from Alfa. Admit to something and that then put a big hole in their plans.
In today’s day and age when the first priority is to keep customer happy and maintain the relationship, it seems that Alfa have missed the plot.

Thinking of offering Alfa my consultancy services at £3500 per day plus VAT to show them on improving their customer care. Should be able to get about 300 days of work out of that!!!!

Funny, when the dealer says there is no problem with the water pump on the engine then get them to put in writing. Blood out of stone.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash6812 View Post
Denial of an issue removes all responsibility from the dealer and also from Alfa. Admit to something and that then put a big hole in their plans.
In today’s day and age when the first priority is to keep customer happy and maintain the relationship, it seems that Alfa have missed the plot.

Thinking of offering Alfa my consultancy services at £3500 per day plus VAT to show them on improving their customer care. Should be able to get about 300 days of work out of that!!!!

Funny, when the dealer says there is no problem with the water pump on the engine then get them to put in writing. Blood out of stone.

Try asking in a Vauxhall or Saab dealership about the 1.9 diesel waterpumps. They use the same engine and you just might get a more honest answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu View Post
Would someone please explain exactly HOW you inspect a belt without removing it. Are dealers honestly going to strip it apart and then tell you that it doesn't need doing??

When mine was removed (in pieces at 60k) it was a real mess. There were several small tears across the width other than the one that actually gave way. I'll be doing mine early in future, just in case.

Diesel cambelts lasting 36k miles is a joke. Several mechanics I know reckon that VW belts virtually never break early, and they look the same. Alfa must be making them out of spaghetti
if you remove the top cover & look at the smooth side of the belt it should be BLACK, if you cna see while stripes in it then its time ot replace.
MVC
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Greater Manchester

its my opinion that it is impossible to check a timing belt and say all is well for another 30 plus thousand miles / also what about the bearings in tensioner / guides ?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

Just renew the whole assembly after 3 years.... inspection is futile
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcjohn View Post
its my opinion that it is impossible to check a timing belt and say all is well for another 30 plus thousand miles / also what about the bearings in tensioner / guides ?
What he said.

Also How would you check the pump without removing the belt?
AO Gold Member

See if a belt looks like it needs changed, it already on borrowed time, inspection is indeed futile, a guy who used to work for me was the development engineer at Gates in charge of belts, they age with time, ozone, UV, tension, revolutions, alignment and thats it.

Basically every application finds its life and that becomes the interval.

They get damaged inside as well as outside and you cant inspect that.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
36k , belt , cam , change , jtdm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page