Engine? squeak at low revs (156 2.4 JTD) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 27-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

156SW

Engine? squeak/squeal at low revs (156 2.4 JTD)

Hi there,
two little squeak / rattle questions.

When I drive slowly like up the driveway with revs just under 1000 I have some strange squeak from the engine - as soon it goes over 1000 its gone - or if I rev higher to start with it never happens. If I go slowly in higher gear to drop the revs and then accelerate I get same squeak.
Any ideas?

The other one is a rattle/knocking going over uneven roads/ little potholes. Got both upper WBs changed 2 weeks ago. Nothing when going over speed bumps, just those bad surface roads - could that be the shocks? or ARB, or lower WBs?

Cheers,
Daz

Last edited by dazulrich; 28-08-07 at 00:16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Suffolk
Re: Engine? squeak at low revs (156 2.4 JTD)

Daz,

Not too sure about the second problem (although if you find out let me know - I think I have the same problem!)

But your squeak could be a aux belt or something. Does it only happen while moving? What I mean is can you get your head under the bonnet and get someone to rev the engine so you can locate it?

John
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Is it a squeak or a squeal? The aux belt sometimes can squeal, because the tensioner might have siezed. This is quite important to get seen to, as it can break the aux belt which can take out the cambelt..
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 28-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Dublin

Member car:

156SW

Pud,
now that I think of it - its more a squeal.. it is very short as it dissapears when the revs go up.

And yes its only while driving - engine seems to need some resistance - pretty much only when "accelerating" from idle revs... like i said prime situation - up the narrow driveway at home.

If its tensioner - why is it only at that low rev? Also anything I would spot with WD40? Not to cure, but isolate problem? Not that I want to spay the aux belt....

Edit: i think I found a way to simulate it. mate in car with hand brake on and use clutch to keep revs in the squealing zone... Me with head under bonnet to find source... not much time at the moment, may get around on Thursday - will let you know.

Daz

Last edited by dazulrich; 28-08-07 at 08:31.
dez

Dude, If You Find Out What It Is Could You Message Me, I Have The Same Prob On My 156 V6!
The Alfa Dealer Said It Would Be Ok, All Alfas Have Squeaks Apparantley!! (i Reckon I Was Speaking To The Bloke Who Sweeps The Forecourt To Be Honest!!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , jtd , low , revs , squeak

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page