JTDm Something important looking has come off - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 04-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Question JTDm Something important looking has come off

Hi all.

Hoping you can help me with finding out what the strip of metal is that's was sitting loose in my engine bay.
It didn't appear to be attached to anything but was sat above the 4 squares marked in red. it has a small hole in it suggesting it should be attached but I can’t see anything.
I guess it’s supposed to clip over the 4 pins that stick up on top of the 4 round plugs marked in red so they all turn in time

The 4 round plug things all appear loose and turn freely.
The car had been running lumpy when driving with very little revs or when idling.

Is this something I can fix myself or is it going to ruin me 

Thanks All
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (175.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (136.9 KB, 40 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

swirl flap actuator bar. Yep it does what you said above.

My bar is off as well. Has been like that for about 3 years. If you have the plastic flaps (rather than metal ones) you could just leave it alone. Not a great solution but it will be ok. Ideally needs to be de-flapped and blanked off, but thats not a DIY. Next best is to blank those holes off, leaving the flaps in place. Tricky - i've tried!

If you have metal flaps, its more of a problem.

My GT is 2006 and has plastic ones. If you search swirl flaps there are some good existing threads.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 04-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3yls View Post
swirl flap actuator bar. Yep it does what you said above.

My bar is off as well. Has been like that for about 3 years. If you have the plastic flaps (rather than metal ones) you could just leave it alone. Not a great solution but it will be ok. If you have metal flaps, its more of a problem.

My GT is 2006 and has plastic ones. If you search swirl flaps there are some good existing threads.
Ok that sounds good .
Mines an 06 plate GT. Are the swirl flaps the round plugs with the pins on marked in red? as they seems pretty metal.

And should they be freely turning? when the engines running the vibration means they all turn by them selves.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

yes flaps are in red. The spindle will be metal, but maybe plastic inside. The metal flaps were attached to the new plastic manifold. I can't tell from the photo if your manifold is metal or plastic.

Yep they should (now) move freely and will vibrate, thats normal.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 04-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the info t3yls . Car seems to be running a bit better without it, perhaps the bar was lodged stopping the flaps moving.
so something like this

ebay

should repair it.

How do I find out if i've got plastic or metal flaps?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Yeh forgot about them. They should secure the bar.

Plastic or metal flaps ...not 100% sure. I think post 2007 engines had metal flaps, but maybe some 2006 will have them too.

Maybe someone else can help with this.
AO Silver Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Hi, as has been said the only proper fix is either a new manifold or the flaps removed and the spindle holes blanked.
You have the ally manifold which has the plastic flaps that are held in place with screws which dont give any issues. The metal flaps which fall off are used on the plastic manifold which doesnt have the actuator bar on top.
the flap spindles should all move freely except number 3 which is attatched underneath to the actuator motor.
It is wellworth fixing it properly, the engine will run much better.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 05-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the helpful info JON156VELOCE, t3yls.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

if you do the repair with those ebay caps ...i'd be interested in the outcome
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 13-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
if you do the repair with those ebay caps ...i'd be interested in the outcome
The repair with the caps was pretty good, so far at least. Bit of a fiddle to refit but can be done with a pair of needle nose pliers and a some perseverance. A tip if your more patient than I am would be to give the car a bit of time to cool down

The car was still not well but that's down to a sticky EGR. Ive unplugged it and the car runs great. Any one no if i'll cause any damage to the manifold if i run with the EGR unplugged for a while? have bought some EGR cleaner so that's next weekends job.

Am I right in thinking that if I blank the EGR I will need to remove swirl flaps too? And if I get EGR blanks with holes in will that stop the need for mapping out the engine light warning?
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 16-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

So have been running with the improved actuator rod for a week or so and its seem to be really solid and hasn't popped of at all.
I recommend https://x8r.co.uk/ they have lots of cool improved parts.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote4Pedro View Post
Am I right in thinking that if I blank the EGR I will need to remove swirl flaps too? And if I get EGR blanks with holes in will that stop the need for mapping out the engine light warning?
No need to remove flaps if you blank egr.
Yes, blank with holes should allow sufficient gas to pass and not throw up a engine code. Some folk have drilled more holes if engine light has stayed on. No need to map out if the code does not pop up.

Good to hear your improved swirl bar is working. Do those brass fasteners just press down onto the top bit of the existing bearings? They must be quite a tight fit to stay on?
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 20-07-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
No need to remove flaps if you blank egr.
Yes, blank with holes should allow sufficient gas to pass and not throw up a engine code. Some folk have drilled more holes if engine light has stayed on. No need to map out if the code does not pop up.

Good to hear your improved swirl bar is working. Do those brass fasteners just press down onto the top bit of the existing bearings? They must be quite a tight fit to stay on?
Yep the brass caps have a rubber o'ring inside and they just push on, I found it quite easy using a wire coat hanger and some neadle nose pliers to gain access a little easier.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
important , jtdm

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page