Engine / engine bay cleaning / polishing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 21-08-07 Thread Starter

Engine / engine bay cleaning / polishing

Hello everybody,

this is my first post and not sure on how to proceed for the cleaning of the engine bay of my 164. I am giving a large overhaul to my car and would like to clean the engine bay seriously. I mean if some of you have already gone in detail could you give me an help on how to clean and polish the engine parts (only the outside) to a bright and showroom finish? (some pictures would help)

thanks
salvatore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Re: Engine / engine bay cleaning / polishing

I used the easy paint option! -

engine degreaser (or white spirit and a brush and cloth) then jet wash to tidy most up. Spray paint was easy but polishing is well worth it! See the end of this thread for some tips and pictures - https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...y-a-164-a.html
AO Member

Garage

This should cover anything you need cleaning any part of the car on the rest of the web site to at least as high a standard as anyone could ever want lol
http://autopia.org/forum/guide-detai...detailing.html
(Post Link) post #4 of 14 Old 22-08-07 Thread Starter

thanks all, it's going to be hard work then !!!!!

How do you get an engine bay shining like that? I negletted engine cleaning for 3 years .... and now the hard work... I will paint the Alfa log in red.

Sal
Dibby

If you haven't cleaned the engine bay for 3 years, why bother now? It won't make it any faster so get out and drive it.

AO Member

Member car:

166 2.5 V6 24v

It might go a "little" faster - as after 3 years - he will be removing a few grammes of dirt making the car lighter and faster?
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

The advantage of starting with a dirty engine is the before & after is more dramatic.
(Post Link) post #8 of 14 Old 23-08-07 Thread Starter

BAD - BAD - BAD - news.

I was going to repaint the front subframe too with the engine bay cleaning .... but two big holes appeared under the *multi* coats of dirt just where the wheel arch covers are screwed into the front subframe (careful everybody the rot starts from there) . Then decision: my alfa 164 wil be a donor car!

Many thanks for all your suggestions which I will definitely consider when I find the right 164. I have got many new parts and will take the rear subframe off from mine (just changed last year). These car do really need to be waxoiled otherwise they will soon dig down in your pockets!

BTW if you have a good 164 I could give her a good home and a decent overhaul with the shining engine bay OF COURSE. (I have left a message in the classified wanted section).

Salvatore
Alfa 33 16V, Alfa 145, Alfa 164.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

'02 156 1.8 TS

yeah, they do rust if left alone....my old QV needed extensive welding (again) and the rust under the front was pretty scary looking. At least the bodies don't rust too badly!
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 25-08-07 Thread Starter

In the meantime I am trying to renew some parts, stripping them down, sanding and repainting them (e. manifolds, supports, air filters housing etc.) The body galvanization is very good on alfas 164 but... the rust gets to other parts. Is it really not possible for car manufacturers to make every little bit of a car rust proof? Ok I can still wash and polish the engine but the rot/decay from rust is really an issue. Is it the same on newer Alfas? I hope not!

Sal

im looking to sell my 164 or swap it for the right car any1 interested leave email and i can send pics
carl
(Post Link) post #12 of 14 Old 27-08-07 Thread Starter

Hi alfa164man

yesterday I have given the deposit for a 164 Super. Thanks anyway!

(I will definitely polish the engine bay to this one! and post the pict. of course)

Salvatore
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 04-09-07 Thread Starter

I have got the 164 replacement. It drives like a dream, sounds right (as an Alfa should ... I still remember the sound of old Giulias used in south Italy - now, that was the real Alfa raaaasssssppppp). Leather interior, air con., all electric (some small bits to fix) and of course the 144 bhp engine, low miles. The engine polishing HAS ALREADY STARTED... and it is curious how many bits you discover whilst cleaning the engine. I am so keen on keeping an eye on the rusty bits before it's too late.

Thanks all of you for the suggestions which are being put in practice!
Before-after pictures will be posted.

Sal

Have you ever tried an espresso and then a ride in an Alfa ? Now, that's style!

Last edited by salfiore; 04-09-07 at 19:44.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie166 View Post
I used the easy paint option! -

engine degreaser (or white spirit and a brush and cloth) then jet wash to tidy most up. Spray paint was easy but polishing is well worth it! See the end of this thread for some tips and pictures - https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...y-a-164-a.html
WOW! That looks stunning

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
bay , cleaning , engine , polishing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page