Jts non start... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-06-15 Thread Starter

County: -
Question Jts non start...

Having browsed hundreds of posts relating to this, on this and other forums, i am still a little flummoxed by the problem I'm currently suffering with my jts 2.0l gt. It just wont go!

No fault codes are appearing except those relating to items which have been disconnected as part of "diagnostic" process of elimination..

The car drove eighty miles then stopped and hasn't started since. It will run when fired on easy start, or a drop of petrol is poured thru the throttle body. Its getting a signal from the crankshaft sensor on the live data. The in tank pump is pumping to the high pressure pump, and there seem to be fuel pumping on to the rail. The gear on the exhaust cam is also solid. Tried cranking while holding the crash switch also.

It's only reading 2g on the afm when cranking, would this have failed so suddenly then cause it to fail to start altogether.

So has anyone been unfortunate enough to have the knowledge to get it going? All help appreciated.

Last edited by AlfaGtjts; 24-06-15 at 21:49. Reason: grammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

GTV

Ok I can help, I would order a new(or very good second hand one) fuel pump from the rear tank(not the high pressure one on the engine.)

I had exactly the same problem as you, the car would run with easy start sprayed in but not from ignition. Be careful using easy start as my garage put too much in and cracked the intake manifold =(

Basically I ran the car low on petrol and it must have part blocked the fuel pump BUT it still pumped to the rail confusing the mechanic(it still had good pressure too). In the end i ordered a new pump from ebay(100 bargin) and it started straight away and the car also idled a lot smoother than it ever did at idle too.

There is a post from another JTS(GTV) owner(green giraf or something) who has the same symptoms and that helped me diagnose the problem.

When fitting the new pump(its quite easy, it just takes time to remove the rear seats) make sure you don't pinch the green rubber seal or over tighten the securing ring...it will snap. Tighten it bit by bit with a lump of wood and hammer and go for a drive, 15 mins or so. Release the petrol filler cap and listen for a woosh, if you have this there is enough pressure in the system, if not give it another tap or two and drive again.

edit to say not sure how to remove pump on GT but the pump is the problem. A bit of googling shows a few others have had this too.
AO Member

County: Stockholm
Garage
This happened to my TS GTV about 4 weeks ago and like yours, would only start when fuel was sprayed into the throttle body. It turned out to be a knackered crank angle sensor. So that would be the first place I would look if I was you. According to my mechanic it can be rather hard to diagnose and it took them a couple hours before the sensor completely kicked the bucket and they were 100% confident that replacing it would solve the issue (which it did)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
fuel , jtsengine , startarghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page