Clean Injectors but Engine Misfires Runs fine after using Carb Cleaner in Intake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 20-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Help Clean Injectors but Engine Misfires Runs fine after using Carb Cleaner in Intake

Hi all,

Sorry for annoying once more, My Alfa 164 Super 3.0 24V has just had its Injectors professionally cleaned and its Timing Belt Replaced.

However just after taking the car back home I started to feel a certain knock or hesitation like a misfire. It got so bad that after a while I couldn't drop to 3rd Gear to go over a sleeping policeman.

I checked the engine and don't know where to start. Someone told me to clean the MAF sensor using Carb Cleaner whilst the engine is running. So I did plus I cleaned all the contacts in all connections in case of any Dry Joints.

Amazingly it worked. I took the liberty of taking out the MAF Sensor and it was filthy on the back (leading to the plenum), the Big rubber hose was full of old dried oil and grease. So I cleaned the hose with a cloth and did the same on the MAF Sensor.

I connected it back to the car and started her up, it worked. I came the next day and it started hesitating and knocking again. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the Intake and It worked fine.

I drove it for a while and all was fine. Turned the engine off and came back after a couple of hours, the car started to hesitate again, again used the cleaner and all ok.

What is the trouble I have no Idea and its driving me nuts. I also dont have a Engine Check Light so I can't see what's wrong. Any Ideas I really need your help guys.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Clean Injectors but Engine Misfires Runs fine after using Carb Cleaner in Intake

Thats remind me shortcircuit at sparks. Check the continiuity with the ohm meter if sparks are ok. Even if they are new can cause that. Even if your mind don't go there probably it is. I had the same problem and I had spend many hours... finally to find 2 completely new spark plug ... shortcircuit.
Check it..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

Re: Clean Injectors but Engine Misfires Runs fine after using Carb Cleaner in Intake

Yeah it could be a sparky or the coil pack.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 26-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Moaning Re: Clean Injectors but Engine Misfires Runs fine after using Carb Cleaner in Intake

Good Evening,

I've checked everything and found out that the Front Far Right Coil is sparking badly and causinig the misfire. It seems that there is a crack on the casing that could be the cause of a short. Makes sense why the central lock keeps on locking after ignition over & over again.

Now I disconnected the coil and ran on 5 cylinders and no more misfires. However with the coil connected its causing all 3 coils to short and spark although I can only hear the spark never seen one.

I'll replace the one which seems to be the problem the one I disconnected, however I must be honest I don't know why when i spray carb cleaner in the Intake the sparks almost stop and doesn't misfire. Any Ideas cos I cant connect the cleaner to the coil don't know how it affects the other!

Can it be though that one faulty coil is affecting all 3 ? The rear coils are fine just the front bank ! I don't wanna replace all coils if only one is the trouble.

I'd really appreciate your ideas & oppinions on the matter.

Thanks

Keith
AO Silver Member

Member car:

GTV V6, ex 166er

sure you can pick up a cheap used coil on fleabay (is it same as 166 item?)
Try the dodgy one on front bank instead, see if it does the same. Unlikely all 3 have gone.

Chilling Re: Clean Injectors but Engine Misfires Runs fine after using Carb Cleaner in Intake

My dear friend, when i first told you about the sparks... I felt sure about that. I had exaclty the smae problem. I don;t think that is the coils, but the sparks themself ( the suspicius spark ) or the HV cable connected on it, or any other cable (HV) come from this coil you had discovered that cause the problem. I had changed all cables (more crazy than you ) and I had changed also two sparks ( suspicius) and motor go fine than ever before.
I hope helping you, and I hope don't make your life dificult with my opinion. But I am positive that this is an answer at your problem.

Sorry for my english
Olympus
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 28-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Good Morning,

Thanks for the tip, I'll change the suspicious plug and see where it gets me. Makes sense that the carb cleaner is affecting the spark.
So the plug can actually short... What I know is that when the plugs where changed, the plugs used were Champion and Not NGK, still platinum but I think he used the 12V Plugs rather than the 24V. Could it make a difference ?

Also should I replace the plug with a similar one (Champion) or an NGK ?

I'll let you know what are the results.

Thanks & Regards

Keithhm Good morning from Greece too.
When you say plug you mean the "pipes" of the spark? or the cable? or the spark? (my english are not so good) Normaly, brands has no matter, put the pipe sould be cover completely the spark till the end, otherwise (if exist air between) ( contact even with the air is bad ) you will have High Voltaze leak and gap. Imagine that you have water and you need to stop any leak to the enviroment. is something like that. Try and tell me.
I hope you done with that problem.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 30-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Good Morning,

Thanks for the tips olympus and all for your help. The problem was indeed the spark plugs. The front 3 spark Plugs had all corona stains on them and where shorting. The 3 plugs were replaced with the proper NGK Platinum Plug, the ones fitted were Champion. Unfortunately I still have 3 Champion Plugs fitted in the rear head which is a very annoying task to perform as I have to remove the Plenum. But thankfully no more sparks or hesitation. I'll change the back plugs when the Agent has them available (about 2 weeks time). Having the rear plugs not like the front shouldn't cause any trouble though right ?

Anyway Thanks for everything.

Keith

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
carb , clean , cleaner , engine , fine , injectors , intake , misfires , runs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page