engine problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

engine problems

hi guys heres the story so far. about a month ago the cambelt snapped on my 147 selespeed, took it to the local garage they took about 3 weeks to fit a new timing belt, 8 valves 8 spark plugs, head set, aux belt and balancer belt. i got it back on wednesday. i drove about 40 miles to work and other bits n pieces and the car is broke again. it looked like the same warning lights as the cambelt problem. the RAC man said it was misfiring on 3 of the 4 cylinders. its back at the garage who did the workand they seem to think the bottom part of the engine has siezed up, they are taking the sump off now to have a look. has any one got any ideas as to how this could have happend and could it be connected to the oridinal cambelt failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: engine problems

that sounds nasty , i just hope you get it sorted quickly, seems a long time 3 weeks to sort out your original problem but im no mechanic so that might be the time needed.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

ther was a lot of hanging around for parts and trying to get alfa to put something towards the repair, but no joy with them. i dont want the garage to come back to me and say it is another fault. but nothing to do with the parts they have changed
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

It is quite common for the bottom end to let go after a cambelt failure, this is caused by the impact of the pistons hitting the valves and flat spotting the big end bearings.
The shells should be changed after a cambelt failure, If not the garage should take the blame IMO.
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

thank for that do you have any idea on how much it would cost. is it a matter changing the cambelt and the shells as the same job. how big a job it is
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Depends if it just the shells or the crank is damaged. If the latter, then it's an engine out job, and hopefully, if gentle scoring, just a crank regrind. When mine went it cost around £1600 including a new rad. I'd already forked out £1400 the year before for a head rebuild, etc.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

would you think the two incidents were connected? i am waiting for the garage to call me back and say they want more money
AO Silver Member

County: Tyne and Wear

the garage should have inspected the bottom end for damage following the belt failure. I is not unusual for the bottom end to be damaged. If they did not check it i would be holding them responsible as any half decent garage should know to check this. Best me luck
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

cheers for the advice guys. i have a feeling i am going to have problems with the garage. they wont want to pay for the damage they have caused. i wish i knew more about the workings of an engine so they couldnt pull the wool over my eyes. has anyone had a problem like this before and what was the outcome ?
(Post Link) post #10 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

is there any thing else that could have caused the bottom end to sieze after 40 miles following a cam belt failure
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerboy View Post
is there any thing else that could have caused the bottom end to sieze after 40 miles following a cam belt failure
They may have got dirt inside the engine. My money is still on the big ends being damaged from the original breakage though. Its quite a common occurance, although some engines will go for considerable time after the top end has been repaired before the bottom end gives up.

Was the engine at high revs when the belt broke? As this is likely to cause more damage than if the belt snapped at a slow speed.
(Post Link) post #12 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

thinking back when i was getting a tow back home the driver of the truck noticed oil over the rear bumper. do you think this has anything to do with it?
as for revs no more than 3000 and about 25mph. the garage said at the time i was lucky.

Last edited by turnerboy; 14-08-07 at 14:27.
AO Member

Member car:

nothing

did the engine have oil in ti when you stopped?? could have lost your engine oil.
I had a landrover that I managed to snap the cambelt on. the engines are built like tanks, but still managed to crack a piston and con rod. the rod was fractured, that coupled with the cracked piston caused it to expand at diffrent rates, it ended up seizing solid. I managed blow crack the block too which meant my oil departed all over the chassis..again causing the engine to seiz up... all in all a good job. hope that's not what's happened to yours though
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 14-08-07 Thread Starter

oil levels were fine and always regularly checked. i dont want the garage to come back and say it was somthing like the oil pump and a faulty warning light which could do the same type of damage. i have a feeling they didnt check the bottom of the engine after the cambelt failure. but i dont know enough to be sure
AO Platinum Member

ASk them if they inspected the bottom end shells, if so did they replace any. They should have put it on your bill if they did.

3000rpm is quite likely to flat spot them BTW, even tickover can flatspot them and the chances go up as the revs increase.
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerboy View Post
would you think the two incidents were connected?
this happening 40miles after a belt snap repair is not that unusual.

whenever piston to valve contact occurs you should assess the bottom end for damage. .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , problems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page