brera 3.2v6 q4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-15 Thread Starter

County: -Nottinghamshire
brera 3.2v6 q4

Hi everyone. I recently purchased the above vehicle a month ago and during the last week or so am hearing a rattle noise coming from the drivers side.
I took the car to my mechanic and at 1st he diagnosed it as a water pump bearing failure. I got the replacement part but upon further investigation he has ruled out the water pump and diagnosed it as the dreaded timing chain stretched which is causing a rattle that increases on revs.
I have been reading here and seems this is pretty common on these engines
One thing I'm confused is where I can get all the parts required to fix this issue. I have been quoted around 1600 + labour @500! Could someone recommend a place that sells all I need in the UK?
Cheers.
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-15 Thread Starter

Here is the car in question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20150602-WA0017_1433408996612.jpg (77.1 KB, 15 views)
AO Member

County: Bergamo
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris74 View Post
Hi everyone. I recently purchased the above vehicle a month ago and during the last week or so am hearing a rattle noise coming from the drivers side.
I took the car to my mechanic and at 1st he diagnosed it as a water pump bearing failure. I got the replacement part but upon further investigation he has ruled out the water pump and diagnosed it as the dreaded timing chain stretched which is causing a rattle that increases on revs.
I have been reading here and seems this is pretty common on these engines
One thing I'm confused is where I can get all the parts required to fix this issue. I have been quoted around 1600 + labour @500! Could someone recommend a place that sells all I need in the UK?
Cheers.
Chris.
I would be surprised if the timing chain was so noisy the engine warning lights would not be showing up ?

I tried this when I had some noise and it fixed the problem

https://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/t.../lifter_noise/

If not done already I would change the oil also and have the codes read. There should be errors related to the timing if the chain is warn.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 29-06-15 Thread Starter

Well my car is in bits in the workshop at mo. Looking like 2 chains have stretched and needing 2 tensioners as well. Anyone recommend where I can source these parts ?
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 29-06-15 Thread Starter

It's not the lifters or anything like that mate. I have previously owned 2 imported mitsubishi legnum vr4 twin turbos and both suffered from noisy lifters. The sound on my brera is different and came from the bottom of drivers side.
Carbis only Done 56k with full history so looking like it was run low of oil at some point in its life. I will check the service intervals. Damn cars

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
brera

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page