dodgy sensor may mean cam belt change - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter

Cry Like A Baby dodgy sensor may mean cam belt change

Ei up all, just got my alfa gtv ts back from the diagnostics at Allitalia, Wrexham. Bought the car 2 weeks ago, new cam belt in July 07, Variator etc. but the fuel injector light was constantly on. Geezer I bought it off said it came on in March when the battery died, and a new battery was fitted. Car running ok though, cleaned injectors etc. Anyway, according to diagnostics- a sensor has packed in called the "Fray" or "Phay" sensor- or something like that, and that this sensor is conveniently found behind the cam belt! The cam belt was replaced 94k about 2 weeks before I bought it, and its only done 390 miles since. Cam belt would need to be replaced in order to get to sensor apparently.
According to Allitalia, technically if the sensors gone, my GTV should not be starting or running at all, and the only thing they could think of was the wires may have been knocked when the cambelt was changed-although the previous owner stated the fuel injector light had been on since March.
Just wondered if anyone else had ever suffered the same fate, and am I potentially going to get in my pride n joy one day-n it wont start?
Thanks all, sooz x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 17 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter

Re: dodgy sensor may mean cam belt change

QUOTE- a sensor has packed in called the "Fray" or "Phay" sensor- or something like that, QUOTE

Sorry its a phase sensor! All that engine noise must have mae me hard of hearing
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

LOL

I like that, yup he is correct it is behind the exhaust cam pulley IIRC.

Chances are he disturbed it whilst he was doing the cambelt and variator.

I had my phase sensor changed, part was £115 and the cam belt did have to come off, so I thought it prudent to change it at the same time, the current one had done about 20k but you do not have to change it, the old one can go back on.

The car ran fine and I couldn't tell any difference after it was changed, the warning light came on every journey once the car started to warm up. I ran the car for 3 months without having any real problems with it but do not know if I was just lucky or if there are no major effects with the sensor being faulty.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
...the cam belt did have to come off, so I thought it prudent to change it at the same time, the current one had done about 20k but you do not have to change it, the old one can go back on.
NEVER reuse a cambelt.
they don't like being re-stretched at all.

If you remove a belt, fit a new one.

Same goes for the aux belt and balance shaft belts, both of which need to be removed to be able to remove the cambelt...

Sorry I did not realise that, worrying that the garage who changed my sensor would have put the old one back on!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
NEVER reuse a cambelt.
they don't like being re-stretched at all.

If you remove a belt, fit a new one.

Same goes for the aux belt and balance shaft belts, both of which need to be removed to be able to remove the cambelt...
Er, can you give us more info about that, how many cases do you actually know of where a re-stretched belt has snapped?

I myself would tend to want to fit a new belt but lets just say that the one on the car is only a month or so old, surely refitting that would not cause it to all of a sudden snap?

If the theory of a re-stretched belt is true than surely the aux belt would snap often because it is kind of being re-stretched every time it's rotated due to the automatic tensioner.
AO Platinum Member

The biggest element of taking it all apart is the labour... not the £20 for a new belt. but I agree. A new belt will be supple still so there's no logical reason why it should just snap.

Ralf S.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
The biggest element of taking it all apart is the labour... not the 20 for a new belt. but I agree. A new belt will be supple still so there's no logical reason why it should just snap.

Ralf S.
Yeah, I wonder how much of it is just down to the dealers making a bit more money & covering their arse just in case a reused belt does snap.
AO Platinum Member

I have reused auxillary belst before, but if that snapps it will not wreck the engine in the same way as a cambelt. Also it is not toothed like a cambelt.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

.... just so long as it doesn't tear the adjacent cambelt on it's way past. I gather this is known.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenched View Post
.... just so long as it doesn't tear the adjacent cambelt on it's way past. I gather this is known.

More likely to be the balancer belt isn't it? As the aux belt is outside the cam cover? Granted it's still possible but you'd have to smash the cover first i'd think.

I believe it is possible to remove and replace the phase sensor without removing the belts, I think one of the guys on 145 did it a while back, fiddly but possible

In your situation i'd check over the belt but probably just reuse it
AO Platinum Member

The auxillary belt is seperated from the other 2 belts by the cam cover. I think its very unlikely this would cause a problem to the other belts if it snapped.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

GTV 24v

Yes, maybe that was it - balancer belts.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symonh2000 View Post
The auxiliary belt is separated from the other 2 belts by the cam cover. I think its very unlikely this would cause a problem to the other belts if it snapped.
There have been several cases on here where a failed aux-belt has wrapped itself round the main pulley, gone through the gap in the cover and pulled the cambelt off.

So yes it does happen.
AO Platinum Member

Bloody ******* belt! That's just evil..

Ralf S.
AO Member

my aux belt started to strip when i was driving through town, lucky i heard a flaping noise and stopped quickly, i ended up cutting off what was left of the belt & drove home without the PAS. if it starts to shred like mine did it sure will wrap itself around the pulleys, be quick or risk more damage.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , change , dodgy , sensor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page