Engine idle jumping everywhere - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter

Idea Engine idle jumping everywhere

Hi All,

This is my first post and really love this site. I have a 2001 156 with 110,000k, I had my fuel injection malfunction light come on and went to my local Alfa guy who stated that I need the major service to correct all this.

The engine idle jumps from 900 to 1500 and sometimes even up to 3000 rpm by it self, at other times it feels as though it is about to conk out. Even at cruising speeds I sometimes get kickcbacks as if the engine stops momentarily. After this major service which cost was amazingly high it still does it still has the light on and the same idle problem occurs. Can anyone else advise me on this as now the mechanic wants me book it in again.

I have read that the MAF can be the problem from previous notes on this site, any advice from anyone with similar problems.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Medio

County: Bratislavsky
Re: Engine idle jumping everywhere

I didn’t personally experienced described problems but in similar case you should start by checking MAF, lambda sensors, and throttle body. Injectors might need a clean at your mileage and check spark plugs as well as by 110k you close the scheduled replacement at 120k but the first three options are a place to start with.

I'd start by cleaning the MAF and checking for air leaks in the intake system. Could also be the idle actuator, try a throttle reset (search for info).
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMan View Post
went to my local Alfa guy who stated that I need the major service to correct all this.
how many times have i heard that! you've been sold a service on the basis that it would solve your problem, but they obviously didnt determine what the fault actually was before giving that advice. thats not the type of place i'd take my car, care to name and shame the garage?

if he really was an "alfa guy", or even a competent grease monkey, he would have read the fault codes and correctly diagnosed the problem before suggesting anything. when the light comes it you expect a fault code to be stored in the ecu.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

jumpy idle is usually the idle actuator ... could just need to be reset, but this needs a diagnostic system

Does it do that all the time or just when the engine is warm?

I've read a couple of things, best to do is to check MAF,air leaks, lambda sensor and also check the butterfly valve and throttle body (you can clean it as well).

I'm having the same problem and still didn't figure things out.

You can check gazza's page for more tips (see Idle saga). The link is in his signature.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , idle , jumping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page