Engine not start in my new 159 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-08-07 Thread Starter

Engine not start in my new 159

Hi
My 159 JTS is only 3 months old with 1500km on the clock. Last night I tried to start up the car. The only thing happend was the engine making tapping sound but not starting up. I checked fuel gauge and battery both are fine. Rang up the Alfa service centre, they sent out a mechanic with a tow truck to me. He couldn't identify the problem and towed my car to an authorised service dealer.

The explanation I received this morning was that there's "excessive fuel over my sparks". He said that after cleaning them up, the car started up with no problem. He offered to replace the sparks without any cost from me as a precaution.

I don't really satisfy with his answer, I don't understand is that common to cars to have such a strange problem?
I've driven a few cars with fuel injection system and never heard this to happend?

Or is this there any other possiblities for the car not starting up? Its brand new! I've always garaged my car too. All the milages were piled up in city/suburban driving.

Now I feel like a goose since my wife was against the idea to purchase an Alfa due to the reliability rumours. She wanted me to buy a german car.....

Now I can hear her laughing..............

I just hope there's some rational explanation to this and told her that it can happend to any other car......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AlfaLincs

Re: Engine not start in my new 159

Sounds like they are saying you flooded it..which is perfectly possible with any car..even German ones ...and yes with fuel injection too . I certainly managed to do it once on my Alfa 164 V6, but otherwise my Alfas have been very reliable starters.

Either they are right or they are wrong. What you can do is get your car's handbook out and read the section on cold starts and hot starts, and follow the instructions to the letter. If Alfa are wrong the fault will repeat.

Its quite possible that if you had left it half an hour the petrol on the plugs woulds evaporate and the car would then start.

If you have started the car with your foot on the accelerator pedal then it may well be your fault..but its impossible for me to tell this far away.

Re-read the manual and go from there.

AlfaLincs

(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 09-08-07 Thread Starter

Re: Engine not start in my new 159

I don't think petrol over the spark was the original source of problem. The reason I said that is because when I rang up Alfa road assistance line, The bloke told me to put my foot over the accelerator in the first place!!!!! That caused the petrol flood my spark plugs!!!! I have never started my car with foot on accelerator before.

I did a little research on websites that some cold weather might affect start up but Sydney is not that cold.......

I guess you will be right that if Alfa's wrong the problem would persist I just have to wait and see......................

I could still hear my wife laughing...........

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
159 , engine , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page