A question about 156 engine refitting, and a question about the coolant system - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
A question about 156 engine refitting, and a question about the coolant system

2 questions about the imminent refitting of my 156 engine -

Number 1: Bleeding the coolant - how do you bleed the coolant system on a twinspark engine? I'd assume it'd be fairly easy to get some air bubbles in it during refitting, which would need to come out before the engine is run.

Number 2: Getting the engine back in - what's the easiest way to do it? Getting it out, it was a real PITA to get it off the driveshafts. Is there an easy way to pull them outwards or something so that the engine can slot into place, sit on its mounts, and the shafts can just slot in, or does it really have to be wiggled about until it goes together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Re: A question about 156 engine refitting, and a question about the coolant system

thankfully the twinspark cooling system is self bleeding, even the heater matrix! if you check the hoses for bleed screws you'll be looking a very long time
thats very rare for an italian design of that time. just remember to top up if neccessary once the air has escaped to the expansion tank.

when removing engine, disconnect the ball joint at the bottom of the hub, you can then lever the hub to withdraw the shaft enough to get it free of the box (while making sure you dont apply too much pressure on track rod end), then you tie the shaft in place with string ready for refitting. do same on both sides.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 08-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Re: A question about 156 engine refitting, and a question about the coolant system

Ah good, that's one thing out of the way then - I was curious as to why I hadn't noticed any bleed points

The engine's already out as I say, but it did take a bit of wiggling to get it off the shafts. Would I need a ball joint splitter or something to do it this way then? How easy is it to get apart and to re-assemble?

Cheers
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

the balljoint can be a pig to seperate, you dont specifically need to go out and buy a splitter if you dont have one, a large flatblade screwdrvier or a small chisel can work just as well.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

You will be better off getting a splitter ... miss with the screwdriver and it's two new lower arms when you rip the balljoints open.

And if they have been on for a while, they take some effort to remove. I did my first pair with a splitter you hit with a hammer ... I used a 4lb club one and totally destroyed the balljoint covers. Didn't matter as there were two new arms going on.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa156

On mine there is a bleed-point in the top-left of the radiator (depending on how you look at it(still in the top though)). It´s only a plastic screw, so use a big flathead screwdriver that fits well.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , coolant , engine , question , refitting , system

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page