Autodelta 3.7 GTA AM engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Old 08-08-07
pjgid

Autodelta 3.7 GTA AM engine

Hi folks!

I'm new (-ish) to AO and have just bought my first ever Alfa (a 1985 GTV6 - rear wheel drive, of course!). The car is currently shabby and will, over the coming months, hopefully be transformed into a fast road & track car. I was going to install a standard 147 GTA 3.2 engine but have recently come across Autodelta's 3.7 conversion; does anybody out there have experience with either the 3.7 or any another Autodelta powerplant? Will the unit turn itself in to a very expensive grenade when it hits 7,000rpm for the first time? Or can I expect it last for a few years before it requires a re-build? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes from the funny farm,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-07
AO Member

County: Queensland
Re: Autodelta 3.7 GTA AM engine

I can't answer your question sorry mate, but your build is one of the best ideas I've ever heard.... DO IT!!!
Old 08-08-07
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Autodelta have one of the best reputations in the Alfa tuning industry and I would say without any doubt that there engines will last for years.

If you search the internet you will find a lot of examples of their 3.7 engine in cars and some cars used by the press too.

Also I think there are some differences between the RWD & FWD V6 blocks so it may not be a straight forward swap to fit a GTA engine to GTV6. Alfaspence is doing a 24v 3.0 engine conversion to his 75 at the moment.

Autodelta are expensive and there are other companies in the UK offering 3.5 & 3.7 conversions based specifically around the RWD engine

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles

Last edited by Pascs; 08-08-07 at 04:12.
Old 08-08-07
AO Silver Member

Before committing try speaking to Adie Hawkins at AHMotorsports as they do a range of upgrades for the track and have a good history in the alfa racing championship.
Old 08-08-07
Chris155

I was going to mention AHM too.....

Old 08-08-07
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjgid View Post
Hi folks!

I was going to install a standard 147 GTA 3.2 engine Paul
Wow! where on earth were you going to get the engine from??
Old 08-08-07
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

pjgid, there's also a GTV6 going around with engine rebuilt with stronger parts, and twin-turbo'd

Its been on here before I'm sure, but for those that haven't seen it, look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWSghZDXhc

::EDIT:: Your project sounds too, by the way

Last edited by Pud237; 08-08-07 at 19:15.
Old 08-08-07
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk

Ha ha if you have the money.... DO IT!
I can't wait 'till mines finished! my 75 was reasonably quick untill it blew number 3, can't wait to feel how rapid it'll be with a 24v mill growling under the bonnet
I did hear something about spacers being required for the crank/flywheel/propshaft on the gtv but i don't know how true this is as my std 75 flywheel bolts directly upto to the 24v's crank. Only difference is the 12v's flywheel bolts are longer and a different thread pitch so new bolts are needed.

spence

The BORED No 6. The old 75'er no 2

The BORED Collective
Old 09-08-07
pjgid

Hi again, everyone! Thanks for all the replies - obviously I'm not the only Alfaholic out there!

Originally I'd found a standard 3.2 engine (with ECU & 6-speed transmission) in Auto Italia magazine, however I'm now awaiting a call from Jano at Autodelta about the 3.7 unit. I think around 320 bhp & 250 lbs/ft, when mixed with rear-drive, a slippy diff & relatively narrow tyres, should equal a whole lotta fun....!!

I've already spoken to Adrian at AH Motorsports - he suggested that converting the GTA engine from FWD to RWD would probably be the easiest way of getting the outputs I'm looking for. He also suggested I talk to Alex Jupe Motorsports about other alterations that will be neccessary - this is fortunate as Alex is the poor individual who'll have to put up with my further insane requests for braking, steering, suspension & drivetrain upgrades!! He's also the nice man who is responsible for turning my bank manager in to my new best friend - I really must thank him for that!

Keep posting any tips, thoughts & reassurance - my wife still needs convincing....

Old 09-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

My mechanic, rest his soul had managed to fit a 3.2 GTA engine to an Alfetta GTV6 so it is possible. Can't tell you any more details now though because his shop is closing for the summer tomorrow but I could try asking the chief-mechanic when they reopen if he remembers what it took.
Old 09-08-07
newalfisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud.ti View Post
My mechanic, rest his soul had managed to fit a 3.2 GTA engine to an Alfetta GTV6 so it is possible. Can't tell you any more details now though because his shop is closing for the summer tomorrow but I could try asking the chief-mechanic when they reopen if he remembers what it took.
How did Mr Kostas died? it was very sudden.

Old 10-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Pulmonary embolism because of cancer. It turned out he's had it for some time but nobody knew about it.

PS: Are you [email protected]?
Old 10-08-07
newalfisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud.ti View Post
Pulmonary embolism because of cancer. It turned out he's had it for some time but nobody knew about it.

PS: Are you [email protected]?
Yes, i am indeed.
i'm really sorru to hear about that. I hope there is someone to carry on his legacy.

Old 10-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 155, GTV V6

I vaguely recall seeing a post on the gtv6.org website about a 3.2 V6 into a GTV6. they main issue I remember was the sump - they had to make a new one! Otherwise I believe it was not so bad - as far as those conversions go. Had considered the same myself But am going to stick with the GTV v6 I think...
Old 10-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by newalfisti View Post
I hope there is someone to carry on his legacy.
Yes there is. You can read more here: http://www.alfisti.gr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6712
Old 10-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

im looking for the 3.8 conversion from ahm for my 156 but found them not so helpfull with questions, only wanted to tell me how much it would be!
Old 10-08-07
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156 GTA

Did you ring them?
Adie is very helpful by all accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo156 View Post
im looking for the 3.8 conversion from ahm for my 156 but found them not so helpfull with questions, only wanted to tell me how much it would be!
Old 11-08-07
pjgid

When I spoke to Adie he was very helpful & more than willing to offer any advice I might need.

Old 11-08-07
AO Member

Adie answered numerous emails that i sent. Very helpfull chap.
Old 11-08-07
AO Member

Member car:

only by emails, maybe i asked silly questions or he is busy, but honestly cant say I was inclined to spend near 4 grand with them!

Maybe a phone call instead would be better
Old 11-08-07
AO Member

Ah are always busy!

Better to chat in person.

How much would i love a 3.7/8
Old 13-08-07

If you look at http://www.alfapower.nu (Swedish site) and ask around, there have been a few 3,0 24V conversions on GTV6's there. The last one is a 3,2 GTA enginge. The site is in swedish, but everyone knows english).

Good luck!
Old 13-08-07
pjgid

Thanks again for your help, everybody - nice to know there are so many enhusiasts out there!

Old 15-08-07
Unregistered

I have an old GTV6 3L (SA version) fitted with a low compression 24V V6 at 3400cc(best size with turbos), I use a BMW Getrag dogleg 5 speed box mounted up front & a BMW M5 rear diff. There are a few of these in South Africa, all done by Glenwood Motors. Also a number of GTV6's running GTA3.2's, only tuning is that they run Glenwoods individual throttle body & GoTech or Motec management, monsters pushing out 400hp+ in NA form.
Check out www.glenwoodmotors.co.za

Head honcho, Dawie De Villiers is a helpfull chap, considered the boss globally as far as the V6 Alfa is concerned. Use me as reference, no probs.

There are around 30 old GTV6's converted to 24V 3-3.7L running around in SA that were built by Glenwood so they are in the know.

Ciao,
Monstro
Old 17-08-07
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

i know a few people with em they are great! never felt power like it well, once supercharged too!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
autodelta , engine , gta