JTS (2.0) slipped timing question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-05-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

JTS (2.0) slipped timing question

Hi guys, just looking for a little advice/your thoughts.

I'm shortly acquiring a second 156 to play with over the next few months, if it works out, with a view to selling the one I have now and keeping this one. Very good condition cosmetically, well specced, and more importantly, well minded by a true enthusiast for the last few years. It's a 03.

The problem with it is, a short while after it's last timing belt change, it died! MCSF message on the dash, and, on inspection, what sounds like piston valve kiss while idling. That last sentence may make you cringe, but in my defence, the car had been run long before I went near it, I knew it was broken, and I had to get a handle on how bad it was. Ten seconds or so of rough idling was enough for me to reach a conclusion that one of the cam pulleys had slipped sometime after the belt and pulleys had been done, possibly tensioner, but either way, the timing is off to the extent that the valves and pistons are meeting each other during engine rotation.

Realistically, my first port of call is to sort the timing, and then go with a compression test to see how bad things are. Murphy's law would dictate I'm talking new valves at least, but just hypothetically, if the compression is good on all four, may I have gotten away with it? Also, should I consider doing the big end bearings too?

Oh, the engine has done about 130k I think, but has been scrupulously maintained with fully synthetic throughout, if that means anything.

Thanks for any advice at all!

R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Yes, replace the big-end shells .. even on the starter they can get squished (Don't ask how I know!).

You're unlikely to get away with any damage and a comp test will probably confirm that. It's likely to have bent at least one and probably more valves, so swapping out the head might be a good option. Then rebuild yours and sell on to recoup the costs!
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 02-06-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Thanks for chiming in Gary, that's my realistic prediction as well!. I've more or less built myself up to the idea of coming at it from the top and bottom. I may just rebuild the old head though, as I'm in no hurry with this thing (I haven't even collected it yet!)

Plan is, fix timing, compression test, drop sump, whip off head, order shells and whatever valves I need, and go from there

I wonder, given that this engine was looked after so diligently, will I need to go changing piston rings too? They're not especially prone to wear, from what I can gather, so I'll have a look when I'm in there.

In essence, if this takes me two months of tinkering here and there, I don't mind so much.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
jts , question , slipped , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page