Cam belt tensionerator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 06-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Cam belt tensionerator

Tarquini is coming up for a cam-belt change (bit of a novelty for me... last one was 60,000 miles ago) and I want to change the tensioner too.

I had a look at the parts CD and there seems to be a load of different parts available.. I can buy the whole tensioner (a bit over 200) or any of the individual pieces that make it up.

Do I need the whole tensioner, or is there just one or two bits that take all the wear (e.g. pulley wheel)?

Ralf S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Re: Cam belt tensionerator

their are two types of tensioner for the v6, the hydrolic type and the spring type. which one do you have??
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 07-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

That might explain it.

I've found 2 parts that could be the different tensioners. In the first pic' there's the seriously more expensive (hydraulic?) one. Would I need the whole thing or just one/some of the various components?

What's the second item? I'm assuming it's the spring-loaded tensioner but is that right?

The parts CD doesn't tell me which type mine should have. Is there a way to tell (I can't see the beast - it lives under the cambelt cover).

Ralf S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60808222.JPG (40.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 60810451.JPG (25.0 KB, 18 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

You likely won't have a choice Ralf..the hydraulic chap has been unavailable for ages now. The later (and cheper) type is a thermo-mechanical one. There was a modification for the 164 to fit the later type IIRC. If your motor has the hydraulic type, you can still get the kit of seals etc to try and stop it leaking oil, but if the bearing is nosiy, you won't get one. The thermo-mechancial jobs are fine....but youneed to be careful when installing them as it's relatively easy to break an internal spring and not nitice...until it lets the belt go slack.....

One quick way to see which sort you have...if there is loads of oil leaking around the area of the tensioner, you probably have the hydraulic one! I didn't think they did the 155 with the hydraulic version though.

If you have hydraulic and want to fit mechanical, you'll need a conversion kit and some time! You need to block an oilway and replace a hollow stud with a solid one. Probably a bit of a mare with the engine in the car I should think....

HTH
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

on the mechanical type their is a needle type thingy and it points to a marker on the housing which will tell you the correct tension!
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 08-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Ooer! It got complicated again!

I'll have to have a peek and see if I can work out which type mine has... hopefully it'll be the simple mechanical one, though seeing as it's just near-renough completed it's second stint in the trenches (120k), I suspect it's the hydraulic one.

I could leave it to my matey mechanic to assess.. but he's likely to err on the side of leaving it in there, as going to the hassle of fitting a new one when there may be nothing visibly wrong with the old one, is not really his style.

What's the item in the second picture above? The more I look at it, the less it looks like a tensioner.. but I know the pics aren't always dead accurate.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..

Last edited by Ralf S.; 08-08-07 at 06:48.
wrinx

Put your chassis number into the parts CD

wrinx

AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

Second picture does show the later type tensioner - it's not a very good drawing. I've never had any bother with mine personally, but they caused a huge stink on the 164 in the US for some reason. I think the machanics out there had trouble getting them set right and broke lots of them. They aren't difficult, you just need to make sure you set them according to the instructions. As explosive said, there are some pointers to line up at one stage - not hard.

Don't be put off changing it if the bearing is noisy....the consequences of a failed tensioner aren't pretty and it really isn't a big deal to do, just a bit awkward.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Aye! Mine's the springy one (second picture)

It doesn't seem in bad nick at all really.. which is amazing given that it's done 120k or thereabouts. It's hard to believe it's made by the same people who make the Twin-spark tensioner!

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Mercedes C350e

AFAIK, the one on my V6 is the original item. 106k miles so far. I've got hydaulic types on a couple of 164 motors I've got. They are more robust, but have a habit of leaking, and you can't get the bearing any more, so longer term, the springy type is probably the way forward. A mate has a 164 motor that has a fixed tensioner on it. I'm not convinced this is a good idea for a road car myself but he's not had any bother. Strictly, this thing is a de-tensioner. Once static tension is set when cold, it's job is to maintain tension as the engine warms and expands. With the modified static ones, you have to set the cold static tension a bit loose so that the belt isn't over-tight once it all warms up and grows a bit. The springy ones do it with a bi-metallic spring inside the assembly, the hydraulic ones do it by relying on a reduction in oil pressure as temps rise. Read a fascinating(!) patent application all about it.....

...here endeth today's lesson......yawn......
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 10-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Fantastic!

Ralf S.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , cam , tensionerator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page