Arrgghhhh Timing belt faliure GT JTD take 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 02-08-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

159Ti

Arrgghhhh Timing belt faliure GT JTD take 2

Another one to add to the list. Was just reading the other thread last night about this issue.
70mph (ish) on the motorway and engine cut out. When the AA got there went straight for the timing belt cover, he knew exactly what it would be. The belt was in pieces, probably the water pump faliure reading the other thread.
Done just over 60k miles. Looks like I'm going to have to plead with Alfa re the warranty, as I've just passed the time when the service was due. Can't bl**dy believe it, the belts must be made of liquorice.
To top it all, my AA membership had expiered and they charged me £180 to renew it in a breakbown situation.
I'm not a happy bunny at the moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Arrgghhhh Timing belt faliure GT JTD take 2

Sorry to hear this.....

Chris

When was the belt last changed? Or are you saying that the water pump failed which in turn caused the belt to fail - its thats the case, its worrying given that you've only done 60K.
PAJ
AO Silver Member

Garage

Oh lordy. That's bad news. Good luck with getting it fixed, and I hope your claim via Alfa is succesful.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD

This isn't sounding good, that's two now and they say things come in three's! Hopefully won't be mine I've only got 25500 miles on mine. If more come out of the woodwork what would it take for Alfa to do a recall?
AO Member

Oh dear I really feel for you. Not a good place to be is it?! I'm still waiting on the outcome of mine, if Alfa will pay etc. Hopefully hear early next week or later today. My car had only done 48K but they haven't said what was the cause yet. Yes the belt has broke but if it was the water pump or not still to be determined. On a good note they have said that it appears to be the rockers which have taken the hit so no Valve damage etc....you should be the same!
AO Member

Thia is getting worrying now - though still only two out of how many on this forum??

Still, I feel for you (and also you Slide) - I know I wouldn't want it to be me...

Best of luck with it...
alfa_147_jtd_16v

I have just had mine changed at 60k and I was wondering where I'd stand if mine snapped tomorrow. Would Alfa have to caugh up as they make the cambelt and recommend the intervals?

alfa_147_jtd_16v

Sorry to hear about your misfortune BTW. Rotten luck.

Darren156

This is crap mate, sorry it happened.

How come I never ever hear of a V6 belt failing? Have I just been missing the threads or are they bullet proof?

Does the V6 have a chain rather than a belt?
AlfaLincs

"How come I never ever hear of a V6 belt failing?"

Darren, V6 cam belt failure is VERY common if you try and take it to 72,000 miles. Alfa have not shortened the interval officially on the V6, but the general feeling is that somewhere around the 45,000 mark is the right time as few go before that, and lots go after. You change the water pump and belt tensioner as well, and any belt bearings that are not perfect.

Don't be tempted to leave it.

On the plus side, take care of the top end, and provided you change the oil and filter regularly, bottom end problems are quite rare on the V6, with over 200,000 miles being quite common. Some of the better maintained stateside 164V6s have done 350,000 miles with no probs.

AlfaLincs

AO Gold Member

County: Kent

My 2.5V6 went at 69K in the days when 72K was the recommended. Lots of V6 belts have gone when left for too long. Listen to AlfaLincs, he talka scenca!
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaLincs View Post
"How come I never ever hear of a V6 belt failing?"

Darren, V6 cam belt failure is VERY common if you try and take it to 72,000 miles. Alfa have not shortened the interval officially on the V6, but the general feeling is that somewhere around the 45,000 mark is the right time as few go before that, and lots go after. You change the water pump and belt tensioner as well, and any belt bearings that are not perfect.

Don't be tempted to leave it.

On the plus side, take care of the top end, and provided you change the oil and filter regularly, bottom end problems are quite rare on the V6, with over 200,000 miles being quite common. Some of the better maintained stateside 164V6s have done 350,000 miles with no probs.

AlfaLincs
I'm worried now I thought 50-60 000 miles was the forum line on this......
Mine was done at 58 and i was hoping to change it around 108 am I pushing my luck?
Darren156

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason156 View Post
I'm worried now I thought 50-60 000 miles was the forum line on this......
Mine was done at 58 and i was hoping to change it around 108 am I pushing my luck?
Hmm, the thing I most see is people who have had their belt's done complaining about something not feeling right, or the belt went again mere miles after having it done.

My car is now at 80,000 miles and still going strong. Although there is no proof that the belt has been done, the previous owner informed me (After I e-mailed them asking if it had been) that it was changed about 10,000 miles or so ago.
Which meant that they had it changed just before the due date.

It would be interesting to here from someone who has never had a belt change and has broken the 100,000 mile marker on a 156.

AO Gold Member

Anyone who doesn't change the belt on their V6 within 48K is gambling with a huge repair bill. (£3K from a dealer). at the end of the day it's each individuals choice but why take the chance. I have no doubt you will find someone who has never changed the belt still going after 100K but this is not the norm.

As for it "not feeling right" after a belt change, as AlfaLincs said, it is important to change everything, tensioner, waterpump and bearings. Do this at a recommended indie and there will be no issues.

Don't gamble with your Bella!!

81 'Sud 1.5 Super - '88 33 1.7 Green Cloverleaf -'92 164 2.0 Twinnie - '94 164 2.0 Twinnie -'99 166 2.5 V6 Sportronic -'00 166 2.5 V6 Manual-'03 156 2.4 JTD Veloce-'97 GTV 2.0 Twinspark

AROC 916 Registrar http://www.aroc-uk.com/ Gtv Rebuild Project Thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motor...w-project.html

alfa_147_jtd_16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch166 View Post
Anyone who doesn't change the belt on their V6 within 48K is gambling with a huge repair bill. (£3K from a dealer). at the end of the day it's each individuals choice but why take the chance.

Because going back to my last post, I said that what would happen if it still snaps after you have just changed it? After all there no guarentees that the new one is free from defects and who would caugh up anyway!?

AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage

As mine was company owned and dealer serviced at 72k, I'm assuming,
at 107k, the belt only has 35k on it..what is the general view on recommended intervals? Don't think I want to push it to another 72,especially as there's no record of the water pump being changed.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa_147_jtd_16v View Post
Because going back to my last post, I said that what would happen if it still snaps after you have just changed it? After all there no guarentees that the new one is free from defects and who would caugh up anyway!?
And as I said, IF you have changed everything that should be changed it's a pretty safe bet you will be ok. If you haven't then only 10K or not, you could be on borrowed time.

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTD

Hi, I saw a 147 GTA with a broken belt @ 47k on Friday!
AO Member

Member car:

3 series (sorry)

My only advise would be to make sure whenever the belt is changed do the waterpump regardless. I didnt and had the same work done twice within 6 months on my V6!!! Had belt done at 60k though on recommendation of dealer
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiefreak View Post
My only advise would be to make sure whenever the belt is changed do the waterpump regardless. I didnt and had the same work done twice within 6 months on my V6!!! Had belt done at 60k though on recommendation of dealer
Thats good advice, while you have everything stripped down it just makes sense. I read somewhere else on AO they are reducing the timing belt change to 36K.
AO Member

My timing belt and other damaged parts are being repaired at the cost of Alfa. After asking for absolute confirmation regarding the JTD timing belt I was told (by Alfa UK) that yes the belt change was being reduced to 36,000 miles for all Alfa cars including the diesels. This was being communicated to dealers and the official change is more or less now in effect. If you have a JTD, my advice is if you are near or over the 36 then I would strongly suggest changing it. Could save you an awful lot of heartache and worry. You may not get Alfa UK on a good day........
AO Gold Member

How much does a belt change cost (with water pump etc) ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
arrgghhhh , belt , faliure , jtd , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page