New 159 2.4 JTD owner, Check Engine message... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 28-07-07 Thread Starter

Wave New 159 2.4 JTD owner, Check Engine message...

Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to introduce myself as a first time Alfa owner - a 159 2.4 JTD manual. After a long look into 'the usual suspects' and some more mainstream options, I fell for the 159 for a number of reasons - it's an achingly beautiful design, it's comfortable, very well equipped, handles sharply, has a sweet gearbox, was keenly priced and has a really good feel about it. The 2.4 JTD is supremely torquey, and promises good fuel economy. It ticked the head box as well as the heart one.

However, having taken delivery of the car not more than an hour and a half earlier (with 5km on the clock), I got the (what I now understand is "the dreaded") 'Check Engine' warning message and light just as it was clicking over to 18.1km. I remember thinking, "we're not off to a good start!".

With the car in limp mode, I phoned the dealer to say I was on my way back to return it and that the car had no power. Driving in limp mode was an awkward experience, but I reached the dealer without further incident, and handed back the car.

The dealer was very good about it and, to his credit, provided me with a 159 2.2 JTS manual while mine's being looked at. It's a disappointing new car experience, but I'm trying to remain philosophical. I hope that all will be sorted next week, and that my confidence will be restored, because there's a lot I really like about the car.

In the meantime, hello! What a great resource this forum is - it's reassuring to know there's such an Alfa community like this one.

I'll let you know how things go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: New 159 2.4 JTD owner, Check Engine message...

Hi and welcome Alfredo!
I'm sure she'll be okay soon! Not a good start, really, but happens. I hope that from now on she'll only bring a smile on your face!
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 29-07-07 Thread Starter

Thanks mate - let's hope so!
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Welcome Alfredo, wishing you the very best for a happy conclusion to your 159's problems asap.:
AO Member

County: Tasmania

Hi Alfredo

You've had 13.1kms trouble-free motoring from your Alfa - what are you complaining about?!

All jokes aside, hope the dealer sorts it quickly for you.

What's your opinion of the 2.2JTS loaner?

SS
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 29-07-07 Thread Starter

Thanks zulu ferret and splashalot2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashalot2000 View Post

You've had 13.1kms trouble-free motoring from your Alfa - what are you complaining about?!
HAHAHA - let's hope the periods of trouble free-motoring increase exponentially from now on!

As for the 159 2.2 - I really like it. I test drove a manual one when I was first looking at the 159, and I didn't like it then - I found it hard to balance the revs on take off and I found it a little clumsy to drive as a result. I just couldn't get into the rhythm of it. However, the loaner I currently have has about 7000km on the clock, and it's a much better experience. The gearbox is really nicely worn in and I've mastered the clutch/engine revs a lot better (I guess because I've spent more time getting to know it over this weekend than I ever could on a brief test drive). The engine is a fantastic unit - lovely and revvy, with a sweet sound to it. Plenty of power for climbing the high points around Sydney pretty effortlessly. I reset the fuel consumption trip meter shortly after it was handed to me and, with a mix of about 75% highway, 25% urban driving, it's averaged just under 9l/100. The balance of the car is very impressive - it sticks like glue around bends, and the steering is so responsive you know exactly what it's doing.

It'll be interesting to compare it with mine when I get it back...!
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 30-07-07 Thread Starter

Good news! I got my car back this afternoon. Very pleased! The service manager said that the shutter valve had jammed closed. He said that he re-adjusted the settings and re-lubricated it. Anyone else had that rectification? I am hoping that should do the trick. It's great to have the car back - I've done about 20km in it since. I have about 150km to do in it tomorrow - so looking forward to seeing how it goes. Pleased that the dealer sorted it out so quickly.

Will let you know if anything further develops (or doesn't - as the case may be!)
AlfaLincs

This is interesting from another point of view. Here in the UK we have a new Alfa test centre that checks out all new Alfas before they are delivered to the seelling dealer, and this includes a road test.

I understand Oz does not have such a centre..yet, as we (UK) are the test bed for a possible/probable US re-entry, but it does beg the question as to whether a good PDI and a test run might have picked up this problem before it was inflicted on you.

In any event lets hope its sorted. I think you chose well.

AlfaLincs

AO Platinum Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Just seen the thread for the first time. Shame about the early problem but I'm glad it seems to be sorted out. The 159 2.4JTDm is a great car.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 30-07-07 Thread Starter

Thanks AlfaLincs and Fraser

It's an interesting point, AlfaLincs - I didn't realise that the UK had a centralised test centre. In Oz, the importer is an independent importer (that is, it's not owned by Alfa) and I'm unsure what the procedure is.

From what I understand on here and through the UK press, Alfa has had to make big gains in terms of dealer quality and customer relations in the UK, so it certainly sounds like a great initiative. Hopefully it will go a long way to re-staging a serious comeback in the UK and beyond. It's a brand with so much potential.

However, as you say, it does raise questions about the PDI process - a point which friends have also raised. From what I've learnt on here, the issue (or similar issues) seem known. Although it was very disappointing to have the issue occur on a brand spanking new car and so early into ownership, in some ways I'd rather it reared its head now rather than at a time when I'm hundreds of km away from a dealer (very easy to do in Oz!). I'm pleased that the dealer was able to sort it out without fuss, provide me a loaner in the meantime, and get the car back to me so quickly.

As for the car itself, there's a lot I really like about it and as I said earlier, it ticked so many of the right boxes for me. From the time I first saw it in Italy shortly after its launch 2 years ago, it's always captured my attention. I'm looking forward to getting to know it better and have my confidence restored. How have you found yours, Fraser?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
159 , check , engine , jtd , message , owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page