Non Alfa Cam Belt Parts - 2.0TS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 13-07-07 Thread Starter
jdg
AO Member

Non Alfa Cam Belt Parts - 2.0TS

Anyone have any comment/ experience with non alfa cam belt parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Re: Non Alfa Cam Belt Parts - 2.0TS

I would go for genuine Alfa on such vital parts, there have been various upgrades to these parts over the years, you would not want to end up with the suspect parts that Alfa no longer consider suitable.

Alfa Workshop where I had my belts changed only offers Alfa supplied timing/balance belts & tensioners whilst for many other parts thay offer pattern parts. The cost for these is approx. £133 incl. VAT +carriage.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 16-07-07 Thread Starter
jdg
AO Member

Thanks for that. The reason for asking is that I understand that the OEM for some JTD belts is/was Dayco. So was wondering who does all the 2.0 TS (more out of interest than anything).
AO Member

County: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdg View Post
Thanks for that. The reason for asking is that I understand that the OEM for some JTD belts is/was Dayco. So was wondering who does all the 2.0 TS (more out of interest than anything).
Dayco are a major supplier of belts full stop, I would be surprised if they didnt do one for the TS
AO Gold Member

OEM is Dayco, so Alfa, Dayco, or Gates.
(Post Link) post #6 of 8 Old 18-07-07 Thread Starter
jdg
AO Member

Cool, does that go for the idlers and tensioners as well? I assume they are engineered by a third party?
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
or Gates.
gates powergrip is the only belt i would trust, especially on a twinspark. then it might actually last to the recommended service interval for a change.

for the tensioner & idler, balancer shaft belt, balancer shaft tensioner & variator go to an alfa dealer and cough up the cash for proper parts.

imo you shouldnt attempt this job yourself unless you have the correct cam locking tools, its not as easy as your average twincam, but if you have the locks and you can read a manual there's no reason why you cant do it yourself. if you plan to do the variator consult a guide such as this: http://home.hccnet.nl/jaap.bouma/PhaseVariator.htm

Last edited by jug; 18-07-07 at 14:45.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 19-07-07 Thread Starter
jdg
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug View Post
gates powergrip is the only belt i would trust, especially on a twinspark. then it might actually last to the recommended service interval for a change.

for the tensioner & idler, balancer shaft belt, balancer shaft tensioner & variator go to an alfa dealer and cough up the cash for proper parts.

imo you shouldnt attempt this job yourself unless you have the correct cam locking tools, its not as easy as your average twincam, but if you have the locks and you can read a manual there's no reason why you cant do it yourself. if you plan to do the variator consult a guide such as this: http://home.hccnet.nl/jaap.bouma/PhaseVariator.htm
Have bought the parts needed to change the belt recently, only thing missing is the balance belt tensioner. Just need the time to get to it.

Cheers for all the advice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
20ts , alfa , belt , cam , parts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page