Engine Noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-07 Thread Starter

Engine Noise

Has anyone experienced the same problem as me ? I have a 159 with the 1.9 JTDM 16v engine. The engine has only done 8,000 miles to date. I was careful to run the engine in during the first months of ownership.
After the first few weeks of driving the car, I noticed that it was producing a tapping sound as if it has a tappet out of adjustment. The noise was only noticeable during slow speed driving and especially when under load, say going up a hill at 30 MPH.
I took the car back to the dealer several times after which they decided to change the injectors. This did reduce the noise for a few days, but it came back and has been steadily getting worse. The noise sounds as though it could be a very noisy tappet, or maybe a big or small end bearing.
The dealer has admitted that there is an unusual noise and have informed Alfa Romeo of the problem, but they are not prepared to undertake any more investigation as to the cause. They also said that some engines have bigger tolerances than others and that I might just have to live with a noisy engine.
I used to be a mechanic and have had quite a few diesel cars so I know what noises an engine should make and what noises it shouldn’t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Somerset

Member car:

alfa 159

I have an 08 alfa 159 1.9 diesel
it sounds like a similar problem to what I have - the delaers thought it maybe due to a lack of oil (the oil level was full) and topped up the oil level but the tappet noise still exists - like you the tapping noise gets worse when going up hill.
i have had diesel cars before and neither have made this kind of noise.
Did you ever manage to get your roblem resolved
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by peli0011 View Post
I have an 08 alfa 159 1.9 diesel
it sounds like a similar problem to what I have - the delaers thought it maybe due to a lack of oil (the oil level was full) and topped up the oil level but the tappet noise still exists - like you the tapping noise gets worse when going up hill.
i have had diesel cars before and neither have made this kind of noise.
Did you ever manage to get your roblem resolved
Drop Smaky a line...
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire
Garage
Is it a kind of tick-tick-tick noise that doesn't seem to alter in speed? I have it sometimes too and was told not to worry about it. Apparently could be a blocked injector. Seems to come from the left hand side of the car (ie Kerbside)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , noise

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page