Turbo-related whistle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

VO2Max

Turbo-related whistle

I was giving my beloved the full beans driving home last week - I'd hit just over 4K rpm and was about to change up, when the power suddenly dropped right off (as if I'd hit the rev limiter, but I'm sure I hadn't). The road (a dual carriageway) was quiet, so I pretty well coasted to some lights which came soon after, and stopped at the red. I noticed I had a 'MCSF' message on the panel, but I'm pretty sure the car hadn't gone into limp-home mode.

I turned off the engine and started her again, in time for the green light. Another MSCF signal. As I pulled away from the lights, the car was driving normally, and has continued to do so ever since.

But also since then (this was a couple of days ago), every time I start her up, I get a MCSF message. But the car is still driving normally and the message disappears after a few seconds. Next time I start her, the same thing again, the message, then it goes away, as if it's only a minor problem.

This may be coincidence (it's hard to tell because I normally have the ipod playing in the car, and now of course I'm listening out for every little thing), but now I have quite a pronounced whistling sound which seems to rise and fall with the engine revs - I'm pretty sure it's to do with the turbo. It's almost like the sound of a distant 70's police siren, going up and down with the gear changes. There are no scraping or 'nasty' sounds, just this whistle.

Now then, coincidentally, I actually recently bought one of those bluetooth diagnostic devices which you plug into the socket inside the cover to the right of the steering wheel. Ah, I thought, I'll see what the error code is! Of course, sod's law immediately came into play, and when I tried to load up the software disc on my laptop, it failed miserably .

I'm hoping I've just part-blown a turbo pipe off or something, or maybe holed it. I'll try to get to a garage and have it looked at, probably on Thursday. But I'll be driving her in the meantime. Am I taking a big risk in doing this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VO2Max

[This is also in the 156/147/GT Tech Lounge, so please could you post any answers there? Thank you]

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
turborelated , whistle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page