Service - Auxillary Belt and Oil question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 01-07-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Service - Auxillary Belt and Oil question

I took my 02 registration 1.8 156 which has done 38,000 miles into a new Alfa service agent last Friday for a 60,000 mile service. I was advised that I should have the cam belt changed which I agreed to. It was arranged that I would collect the car around midday Saturday. On arriving at the garage the receptionist advised that the mechanic was running slightly late. She suggested I pay the bill while I waited so I could leave as soon as the car was ready. This I - did perhaps foolishly. At this time she went through the 'Technical Report' two of the items listed being:

Battery requires charging as indicator on dash: Firstly, I didn't know I had such an indicator. Secondly, I have never had any problem with the battery and did not see any such indicator.

Auxiliary belt starting to crack - When I asked what this was she said it was just advisory and nothing to worry about.

After 30/45 minutes the receptionist advised that they had ordered the wrong belt and would have to get another on Monday and that we should keep the courtesy car and they would deliver my car back to me. I have no problem with this although annoying these things happen.

Last night I was looking at the bill and noticed the oil used is stated on the invoice as Diesel Oil 5W-30. My car has a petrol engine, what effect will Diesel Oil have on it and as far as I am aware Alfa recommend 10W-40 oil. Should I insist the oil is changed to Alfa's recommended oil?

I then looked up Auxilliary Belt which seems to be inside the engine. If this is starting to crack should the garage not replace it while they are doing the cam belt (obviously at extra cost)?

Sorry this is a bit long winded but as the car is still at the garage I would appreciate your comments so I can discuss it with them Monday morning.

Thanks,
Julie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Re: Service - Auxillary Belt and Oil question

A broken auxilliary belt has been known to take out the cam belt when it snaps so i'd certainly expect it to be changed at the same time as the cam belt.
The oil thing might just be an error on the invoice. Have a look at the dip stick - diesel oil is dark, regular oil is a light brown colour.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Julie,have you got a manfriend, family member around, your story is disappointing, to say the least.: The Aux. Serpentine belt wasn't changed on ours, when we had belts, stretchers, idlers, changed as it was ok at that time. The oil? Should be one of the grades/types, that David C and the guys recommend, not really a diesel spec one.: Guy's may have a different angle on this to my thoughts though.:

The battery would let you know if it required charging/changing, never mind a warning light appearing.

The oil I reckon, should be a 10/40 Semi. Synthetic, or a higher spec really.:

Keep us posted.:

Last edited by zulu ferret; 01-07-07 at 10:11. Reason: comma
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Many thanks for your responses. Despite being a car enthusiast, my husband is severly technically challenged. I think we will ask the garage to replace the auxillary belt and change the oil to that recommended by Alfa.

Again, many thanks,
Julie.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 03-07-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Just an update. My husband phoned the garage early Monday morning and spoke to the mechanic. He advised the diesel oil on the invoice was a mistake and confirmed he had used the correct oil. Regarding the Auxillary belt, he said it would make sense to change this at the same time as it would only cost around £30 extra and there would be no additional labour costs, so that is what we did.

The garage delivered the car back to us today and the oil looks the right colour. Just been for a short drive round the country lanes and it feels good.

Many thanks for your help.
Julie

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
auxillary , belt , oil , question , service

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page