Engine Management Light,Uh Oh. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 01-07-07 Thread Starter

Engine Management Light,Uh Oh.

Hey all,

Ok here goes, recently i bought a used 2001 156 selespeed. after a couple of days the engine management light came on, i was told the oxygen sensor needed replacing, so i replaced it, with a genuine alfa one not a cheap one. the light stayed on after replacing the sensor so i took it to my local garage and got them to run the diagnostics on it, the code they got from it was "undetermined fault", and nobody in the local area had ever heard of it. The mechanic reset the codes and started the car again and the light was off, he then ran the diagnostics again and nothing showed. After this he did a full check on my whole engine and all the emissions systems etc, and told me they are all working perfectly. Now 2 days later the light has come on again. Can anybody help??

Many thanks,

Scotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Engine Management Light,Uh Oh.

Did they use Alfa's Examiner ? If not, get her to some Alfa dealer and ask them to try. It might be that the code is alfa specific, not a generic one.

Hope she's okay soon!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 96
County: North Lanarkshire

Member car:

GT Lusso 2.0 JTS

Every once in a blue moon my EMU light comes on. It disapears again within a day or two though (usually before I remember 'Oh aye, that EMU light's come on, I'll need to get it checked out).
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 08-07-07 Thread Starter

Cheers guys, ive got her booked in this wednesday at an alfa dealer so fingers crossed, they seem to think its just the lambda probe, though ive just replaced that, not good. Ill post whatever info i get.

cheers again,

scotty
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 11-07-07 Thread Starter

Ok took her down this mornin, only took half hour on the computer, need 2 new lambda probes is all, though they want £300 for the probes and to fit them, think ill find another way of getting them and fit them myself mind you.
AO Member

Take her to an independent garage, will be cheaper (well I'm not sure about the prices in the UK, but 300gbp seems too much to me)

Even if you had to pay 300gbp, don't worry... it's just the lambdas... :-) i need the new pre-cat & cat for my 147 (cat got fried) and it's about $2000 :-(
AO Member

I had the same problem on my v6, and took the car to a main dealer. The alfa diag came up with the exact same undetermined fault, although, according to the trace, the lower lambdas did not seem to be operating correctly. Anyway, I was quoted over £1300 to replace all 4 of the lambdas (git to get to on a v6, apparently). Obviously I was not too keen to spend that, and instead had the MAF replaced. Lo and behold, no more warning light and a car which runs perfectly, and has done for the last 4 months since it was done. Cheaper than Lamdas too.....
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 13-07-07 Thread Starter

Heres the stupid part, i got a new probe which as i sed i got fitted, i was going to do it but im not exactly engine literate if you get me, now it seems the guy who did it for me replaced the wrong probe. He took out the front one with the short cable and put in the one i had bought, with a long cable obviously for the back. So the plug is burnt out. Im thinkin i could put my original back in its place and replace the other one, you can get the probes for a good price on ebay, not the cheap versions but Alfa probes, loads of Alfas which are being broken on there, loadsa parts. Might try that and see how it goes. Pian in the back side seeing as im moving house in 2 weeks, dont need the expense right now.

Cezam sorry to hear bout your cat, do you know why exactly it got fried?

Captain, excuse me if i sound dumb, but what is the MAF? as i said im not exactly engine literate.

Cheers all.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 13-07-07 Thread Starter

Also, i wouldnt mind so much paying £300, but the probes are £62 each, thats £124, so im paying almost £175 to fit them
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2007 View Post

Captain, excuse me if i sound dumb, but what is the MAF? as i said im not exactly engine literate.
The MAF stands for Mass Air Flow sensor. It basically measures the the mass of the incoming air, while making compensations for air temperature (cold air is denser than hot air) and adjusts the fuelling accordingly.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_airflow_sensor

The Alfa uses the hot wire MAF.

Hope this helps.
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 18-07-07 Thread Starter

right all, heres an update. I decided last nite to take a wee look at my probes,as i still had the original that i took off. i put it back in place if the one i bought, and had a wee look at the probe on the left, i hadnt bothered to check this on before, the blug was black and burnt, so i took it out and put in the probe i had bought as a replacement if you catch my drift, ding dang doo the light is now off. £300? i dont think so.
AO Member

Happy to hear you sorted it out!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , light , management

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page