Hello me again......Engine Trouble!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 26-06-07 Thread Starter

Hello me again......Engine Trouble!!

Hello,

As i already told you all, my engine head went, 2 weeks ago! something to do with the pistons... ( has a hole caused by......?)
Anyway the gargare that is working on my car has recommonded that we build around the engine, and get new parts, what I like to know is:
Is it better and cheaper to buy a whole new engine or use what I already have, and replace the demaged parts?

Forgot to mention my car is a 147 2.0 2001 model, so if you know anyone who has a engine or head to sell please let me know!

Last edited by Alfa Queen; 26-06-07 at 19:20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
Re: Hello me again......Engine Trouble!!

It depends if they know what they are doing with the 2.0 Twinspark.

If you are in the UK with our labour rates (anything from £30 to £105 an hour ) it would be cheaper to replace the engine with a second hand one.

There is a proper rebuild manual with all of the tightening torques and tolerances. PM me with an email address if you want a copy.
AO Member

County: Oxfordshire

Well my good friend (also on this forum) has been going through the same thing with his 156 (purchased with a blown engine). I'm of the opinion that the engine should be swapped with a good 2nd hand one. There's been numerous reports of problems after rebuilding these engines including (even more) excessive oil usage and big end failures. As for cost, I'd guess it'll probably only be cheaper if you buy a replacement engine and stick it in without replacing all the service parts (cambelt etc) - which I wouldn't recommend.

Rich
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Problem is ... do you know what a good 2nd hand engine looks like?? I'd be pretty sick if I forked out for one and the labour to fit, for it to fail again shortly afterwards.

I'd go for the rebuild or a recon from a reputable supplier ... then you know there are new parts .... I don't think it takes much longer either. You'd still want to replace the cambelts, etc.
AO Platinum Member

I agree with Gazza. Get a quote from the garage you've taken you car too for them to rebuild you existing engine (which will give you a 12 months garantee) and then compare to the prices of a rebuilt of reconditioned one (go on the internet and google rebuilt engines). Only fit a second hand unit if you're thinking of selling the car.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire

Give L&M International a call on 01494 538899 or drop them an email http://www.l-m.co.uk ... they rebuild TS engines every week and sell through ebay as karl7317 (it's cheaper for them than setting up they website for commercial sales, etc and keeps their prices down!). They can give you a quote on an engine, delivery, etc.

They rebuilt mine in 2003 and it doesn't use any oil now ... and sounds much better than it did when it arrived with the car in 1998. Rebuild was due to a busted cambelt in 2002, and a year later, big-end #1 went. Yes, that was TWO expensive bills ...

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 27-06-07 Thread Starter

Actually I don't But my boyfriend does He also recommends a re con engine, but the garage said otherwise. Of course it will be sick if I spend out over 1000 pound, and the same thing happens. I had this same problem last year with the cambelt destroying the engine ( it was changed at the correct time stated in the service book ) And now I'm back to square one. But I'm thinking of the lines of re con engine.

Thanks
T
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 27-06-07 Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice.
Gazza:it works out that the price is roughly the same to re bulid my engine, and to buy a re con engine.
Bodger:my email address is [email protected], please email the manuel cheers
Gary: I love my car so much, I support you can understand that I dreamt about owning a alfa for the longest of times, you all no that when it performs how it should your totally happy!! Not sure if I'm going to sell it, but it is becoming a pain in the arse

Anyway alfa's are hard to sell!!
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

I came across this supplier ebay on ebay recently when looking for something else, sounded quite good, new belts & with guarantee, so I bookmarked it. I have no personal experience of them.
AO Member

Buy the recon engine from a reputable supplier, its the only way to go.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
againengine , trouble

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page