Belt, variator or what?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 26-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bristol
Belt, variator or what??

Hi Guys,

HELP!!

My son's 1.6 TS 147 (37K miles) has just keeled over with all the symptoms of what could be cambelt failure. ie reported Motor Control System Failure warning light followed closely afterward by a strange "rattling/scratching" noise and the engine stopping. We've not dared attempting to turn the engine over again.
Immediate thoughts were aaaargh, cambelt failure. However, after reading this thread:

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...art-again.html

we are now wondering about the variator/crankshaft sensor.
You see, up until today the variator has been very noisy (booked to be replaced with the belt next weekend would you believe!), and my son has had problems with the starter not working 50% of the time (ie turn the key and......nothing, not a click. Repeat ad nauseum and eventually it works. Next start up - no problem).

Any ideas? How easy is it to access the belt to see if its broken? Simplest method of checking internal damage?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Belt, variator or what??

Need to remove the plastic cambelt covers on the drivers side, and the same side wheel arch liner, ( wheel off) I believe. Never done it myself to-date, so you may be able to get a view of belt damage by lesser means. Must check mine sometime, although it's not due for replacement yet.:
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 26-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bristol

Cheers ZF. Still holding out hope that its not the cambelt, but Mrs Sloucher apparently heard the noise the engine made as it died, and she has described it as "a horrible crunching noise", but.....she has been known to exaggerate in the past. I'm just hoping that the noise was the variator rattling, and that the engine stoppage is sensor related.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

Yes I can understand how you feel, hoping it turns out to be a lesser problem other than belt failure. Good luck, hope any damage is not too serious.:

Boo, I get to sit at work now wondering if my car has a dodgy sensor (yay), or if the belt has snapped and minced the insides.

Today is going to drag.

What sort of warning do you normally get if the belt is gone/on it's way out? I imagine if it's snapped then the engine seizes almost instantly, would you get any warning from the management?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

911, 156, Merc C

no warning the engine stops and when you restart it goes like a turbine but no joy.... (I know cause it happened to me some years ago, the tensioner was knackered, belt was ok)

I didn't even notice the engine LED was on (orange outline), till the missus pointed it out, we had been driving for a max of 4 minutes.. was at least another minute or two before the engine cut out.

I'm hoping this is meaning that it wasen't the belt :P and more a sensor issue. Would be nice to find out what that noise was though. Gonna have to wait until I'm back from work.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
belt , variator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page