Buying used 147/Cam Belt Changes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Buying used 147/Cam Belt Changes

Hi Guys,

No, I'm not changing the 147, but am helping a friend buy one for himself.

I'm fully aware of the risks involved in driving a TS engine with more than 36,000miles and not having had the belt and tensioner changed, but I'm having difficulty recommending a friend to buy his 147 with 47,000miles odd on the clock and not having had the belt changed! He's dead keen on buying one but I'm quite sure he's not going to want to shell out 300 odd for the change (add another 150 if you get the variator and aux belt changed, which you would always do anyway).

Do you recon I'd stand a chance haggling the price down using this knowledge as ammo? Perhaps I'd struggle with a private sale or at a non-Alfa garage but do Alfa garages generally accept that the belts should be getting changed at around 36,000miles or are they quite ignorant of this well known weakness?

Thanks for the advice,

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Re: Buying used 147/Cam Belt Changes

Re Alfa Garages, they have already had several service bulletins changing the interval to 36000miles/3-years, so they should be aware of the issue by now.

100% try to get the price adjusted to reflect the urgent need for a full belt change.
Urgent may be slightly strong, but 47000miles is entering the danger zone.
ack

If its not done or they say 72k then find another garage.
I had a £1300 bill after buying a 2.0ts with 48k on the clock and being told 72k,from a private garage admitedly.But after 52k the belt went.
I wish I found this site and had that ammo b4 I bought mine.
AO Member

County: Greater London

It is common knowledge that if the three years have passed it should be changed. If the price doesn't reflect that then move on! If this hasn't been done, I would also make sure you check the car out thoroughly as they may not have been as diligent with other Alfa "needs" like checking the oil frequently, etc. I spent a little extra money buying my 3 year old 147 from Black & White in Newbury to ensure this work was done and I had a 12 month warranty just to be on the safe side.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 25-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Sounds like good advice guys, thanks for the confirmation! Am heading to look at the car today but I get the feeling it's not going to be my friend that buys it. I'm sure the sales guy knows that if we won't buy it without the cambelt changed, some other sucker will! :-(
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

The cambelt change should cost around £300 including a new variator as this is a simple fit in job while the top of the engine is open.

There is no aux belt on the 1.6 engine.

It will be about £50-60 more expensive if its the 2.0 model.

Get the dude to knock about £300 off the price. Then go get it done straight away!!!!
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 25-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

When I say auxilary belt I'm referring to the alternator/steering pump/possibly water pump belt. The 1.6 doesn't have a balancer shaft/belt.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
147 or cam , belt , buying

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page