Reoccuring DPF issues. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-15 Thread Starter

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Brera

Reoccuring DPF issues.

Hey guys,

I have got an Alfa Romeo Brera 2.4 JTD 2008. I'm new to this forum but have a serious issue that needs resolving ASAP.

The DPF sensor that is currently on the car was cleaned out 4 weeks ago as a quick fix option instead of paying 1000 for a new one.

Are they any ways of fixing this issue without spending this amount of money, or being illegal by taking this out (Failing MOT etc)

Would kindly appreciate any ideas anyone has.

Thankyou.

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Garage
Reoccuring DPF issues.

They cleaned the DPF or the DPF sensor?! I'm assuming they did a forced regen and cleaned the DPF.

First up, what kind of driving do you do? You need to have one good blast once a week (or once and tankful ) with a DPF in place.

In terms of the DPF, there are a couple of things to keep in mind, firstly DPFs have a finite life, anywhere more than 80k ( or less if it's had previous issues). So it may be time for a replacement in any case.

You can either replace the DPF with new, or take the core out and map the DPF out (so it doesn't try and regen). It'll improve the car as less back pressure to slow down the turbo ( more responsive and better mpg), and will not literally throw fuel down the exhaust ( horrible mpg) every time it regens. If you get the DPF cored it should pass the MOT inspection as the tester will 'see' the DPF can ( and no one has yet failed on the emissions part with no DPF).

In terms of helping the DPF, you can either take it off and power wash it, Wynns sells some liquid you stick in the fuel tank (helps burn off during the regen by lowering the burn temperature). Or Wurth sell some stuff you spray into the DPF before a forced regen, it really does clean out the crap far better than just a forced regen. Autolusso did this for me, and well worth speaking to them about your options.

The other point to consider is if there is something wrong with the engine, the DPF will help to hide any smoke (but block up quicker), so have it checked over (injectors etc). I'd always recommend an EGR blank too, it increases the amount of soot produced by the engine.

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

159 1.9JTDM Ti and Giulietta 2.0 175 Speciale
ex: Punto 55s, Golf Mk5 1.4FSi, A3 (8P) Sportback 2.0TDi SE, A4 (B8) 2.0TDI S-Line, 306 HDI Meridian, Giulietta 2.0 Velocec
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 02-03-15 Thread Starter

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa Romeo Brera

Thankyou for the reply giblets46. Very helpful!

Alex

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
dpf , issues , reoccuring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page