DMF Choices - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 24-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Hmmm DMF Choices

So I bought a 1.9 JTD GT about 4 months ago and about 3 months before that the previous owner had had a clutch and DMF fitted (invoices to prove). Now I'm starting to get the characteristic noises of a failing Dual mass which even with hard driving should not be failing all ready especially at only 4000 miles old.

I will be contacting the Alfa dealer in London who carried out the previous work to see if they can shed any light on the situation but for the mean time getting the flywheel changed has got to be done.

My question is has anyone had any problems with aftermarket DMF's? So LUK, Valeo ones etc... or does anyone have an idea of which is the best make to go for? I'm sure they're all more or less the same but any helpful info would be gratefully received as I don't really want to pull the whole lot out again in the future.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of driving one of the 1.9 JTD's with a SMF instead and if so how does it affect the transmission noise etc?

Thanks in advance and apologies for the essay post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
I have lightweight smf on my jtdm and most would not like the gear rattle in neutral at say junctions or traffic lights etc.
No noise when on the move .
We have seen at least 1 on here i know of try smf and go back to dmf.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 24-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Aah Fair enough, Thanks for getting back to me, an SMF was something that I was considering especially as autolusso provide a conversion package but it was not something I was keen on doing, more a necessary evil so to speak. Think I'll stick with a DMF and hope it lasts, just want to make sure I get the best parts to make the job worthwhile longterm
AO Silver Member

County: Wrexham
if your close to them get in touch as I remember they either had a courtesy car with a smf or it went to a family member but im sure they could put you in touch with someone close who has one.
theres nothing like having a first hand experience with something this expensive especially as it may taste like Bovril, some will like some wont.
Club Member
Membro Premio

What exactly are the symptoms your getting, 7 months for a dmf doesn't sound right. I have an smf from autolusso, its fine, only difference is that it doesn't roll along nicely at idle in 3rd like the dmf did. But I'd prefer a dmf really, just don't like the big bill every 100 k. (Although, I do think the last change was unnecessary, more likely that only the release bearing was gone).
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 25-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

I can hear the irregular shudder you get from a worn DMF at idle, plus shuddering when pulling off, it's not awful at the moment but as you say it shouldn't be doing it all ready no matter what (unless it's a faulty part). I'm actually a full time mechanic so I've heard plenty of DMF failures before, however in all honesty I know very little about Alfa's as we don't see very many. I can put a new DMF in myself (although it's mega hassle I could do without) so my main concern is getting the best parts possible to avoid the problem again and I'll be getting in touch with this alfa dealer and see what they have to say...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
choices , dmf

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page