Steamcleaning the bottom of the engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 16-06-07 Thread Starter

Steamcleaning the bottom of the engine

Hi guys

Recently my steering system started leaking quite badly i was shaking in my bones that it was the expensive steering rack itself. Which i got quoted by the local AR for 960 pounds plus around 400 pounds labor (no thanks).

I desided to take no chance and went with it to the Local Alfa dealer. I've talked to a mechanic there and he's abit of old school and probably the only mechanic that has any real experience with Alfa's.

I ended up with a rather expensive 5 hour work done on a hose running at the back of the engine (from pump to steering rack). Actually this was the repair i was hoping for, so i almost gladly payed the 400 pound bill. This hose is terribly placed so actually i can understand the time it took. Now let's just hope that it will be enough of a fix.

Anyways because i drove the car for almost a month leaking, the underbody is soaking with powersteering fluid and the car smells terrible when warm and it's burning off.

I was thinking of an alternitive to steam clean the bottom of the engine. So has anyone done that, and is that ok? The guy at the AR adviced against it because of many sensors that might get damaged and then i would really be in trouble. Actually he's so old school he told me to take it to a dirt road and give it a go (but that hardly will help alot with getting it through the yearly inspection)

Picture shows the leak ("Leki hér", means "Leak here" in Icelandic)

P.S. sorry for the essay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering-Rack1.jpg (46.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by FleX; 16-06-07 at 13:53.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: herts
Re: Steamcleaning the bottom of the engine

Just use Gunk/Jizer or similar, then gently wash off, using a long handled brush for stubborn gunge. Waterproof electrical components with plastic bags etc.?.:
AO Silver Member

County: -

I jetwashed the lower half of my engine taking care not to get anything electrical or the top of the engine, rocker cover, etc. wet (the rocker cover gasket had been leaking oil for some time). It kind of pushes the gunge off in a very fast satisfying way.
No problems resulted.
AO Platinum Member

I'm fortunate in that I have been able to borrow the wife's Karcher on wheels, steam cleaner. This has a selection of attachments, one of which is very accurate to direct, with an on/off trigger. Used it with good results on the Pug, engine/transmission which was really 'crudded'. Not used it so far on the Alfa, as she is still well nigh as clean as a whistle.: (Blows own trumpet again.)
AO Silver Member

County: -

I've never used or seen a steam cleaner used.
Does it push out a jet of steam?
Is it powerful in the way it works or does the heat loosen the krud?
AO Platinum Member

The original I used, was at a Jag/RR agents I worked at. That was paraffin fired, and would cut through just about anything. The handle, although well insulated, still got bl**dy hot though.: The domestic ones available, need to be of a reasonable capacity/power to be effective.: Not those 'jug type' hand helds.:
mudhut

Decent steam cleaner is pretty expensive though.

I tried for a long time to have my old Mondeo steamed but found that these days, it's very difficult to get this done due to EU legislation connected with ground pollution. Local garages wouldn't do it for me. I understand commercial vehicle companies might still be able to.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
bottom , engine , steamcleaning

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page