V6 engine mounts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 05-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

V6 engine mounts

I've been advised that the front and top engine mounts on my 164 V6 Super need replacing. As I have a million and one other things that need doing, I'd just like to know how important are these to fix, are they a major job and what symptoms does their failure produce?

Cheers as ever guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mudhut

Re: V6 engine mounts

Top one is easy but not as cheap as you'd think. It might help with a smoother pull away and make the big air intake hose last a bit longer by flexing less.

Don't know anything about the front one - looks to be reasonably accessible tough.

AO Silver Member

County: Clackmannanshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

May also damage the exhaust with excessive movement - Front one was an issue for me on my 12v and was on back order for over a year - THAT WAS SEVEN YEARS AGO!

God news was that no damage was sustained, just annoying knock!

Good luck!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

You'll need to lift the engine by 6 to 8 inches to get the front mount in. Other than that it's easy

They're relatively difficult to get hold of, but if the rubber's perishing you really ought to get them done.

When mine failed, the engine jumped about 1 1/2 inches forward, though that would be largely because the lower rear mount had also failed.

Like I say, when I was trying to get hold of one, I was told I'd have to wait until one came in from Italy.

My solution was to use a rear mount - it fits the hole perfectly but has that metal cup on the bottom.

I've found that unless the top mount is wound up tight, the metal cup on the mount in the front position will tap the front cross member.

But, I have been considering that cutting 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch of the cup would avoid the problem.

Not sure I can be arsed with lifting the engine enough to do it though.

The 164 digest members ususally mod a solid version of the front mount from a SAAB 9000 - I haven't seen one here & can't be arsed with importing one.

For the top mount, the big bush is easy enough since you can get it of the car (though, being a heretic I used a polybush replacement), however getting the small bush out is a pain in the arse since it's fixed to the engine, right over the top of the timing belt. (again, when i replaced it I used a polybush replacement - there is some more NVH, but not noticeably at legal speds I thought)

My days of not taking you seriously are definitely coming to a middle
AO Silver Member

County: Cumbria

The front one is hydraulic and eye-wateringly expensive. I probably ought to do mine to be honest and yes, it does cripple the flexible sections in the exhaust if the mountings are knackered. I'd be careful of trying to pre-load the top one to compensate for a failure of the bottom ones though, because it's not very strong and won't last long if it has much permanent load on it.

I tried the American Saab mounting part number over here but no dealr I spoke to had heard of it.

Would anyone else be interested in doing a group buy from the US of A and sharing the postage between a few front mountings?
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 06-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Thanks for that guys, very thorough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
The front one is hydraulic and eye-wateringly expensive. I probably ought to do mine to be honest and yes, it does cripple the flexible sections in the exhaust if the mountings are knackered.
Could explain why I had to replace the front pipes due to knackered flexible sections.
AO Member

County: Kent

Hi Badger,
Gonella Brothers recommended that mine need replacing too; they also mentioned that the exhaust is prone to damaged as well as putting extra stress on hoses / wiring etc.
He couldn't give me a firm quote at the time (the parts are getting harder to source) but did warn me that it was going to be expensive!
With a genuine Alfa clutch as well, I wouldn't see much change from a grand!
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 06-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

This car is becoming exceptionally expensive. Just gotta hang in there. So far: New spark plugs; front pipes, centre and rear exhaust sections; cambelt, pulleys and tensioners; rear tyres. To do: Radiator, thermostat, top and front engine mounts, rear subframe, brake pipes, rear stub axle bushes, rear arm bushes and incorrect seating plate for osf spring.

And it's going to need its 96k service soon as well.

It sounds like a right shed, but the bodywork and interior in such great condition I'm surprised the previous owner doesn't seem to have fixed anything on it. How it got through the MOT, I've no idea.

Edit: Oh and Lambda.

Still it's cheaper than having a crappy golf on contract hire.

1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Ex 95 164 TS Super, 95 164 QV, 97 164 V6 Super – all very much missed.

Last edited by badgers_nadgers; 06-06-07 at 14:09.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Quote:
The front one is hydraulic and eye-wateringly expensive. I probably ought to do mine to be honest and yes, it does cripple the flexible sections in the exhaust if the mountings are knackered. I'd be careful of trying to pre-load the top one to compensate for a failure of the bottom ones though, because it's not very strong and won't last long if it has much permanent load on it.

I tried the American Saab mounting part number over here but no dealr I spoke to had heard of it.

Would anyone else be interested in doing a group buy from the US of A and sharing the postage between a few front mountings?
When I was trying to get one the OEM mount was only about £90 - about half the price the yanks pay IIRC.

I reckon the best option would be to club together for a group buy of the OEM part if we could - I'd be in.

Mebbe even get in a few spares, sell 'em to the yanks

The other alternative I contemplated was getting the SAAB hydraulic mount - they are available here for about £50.
I wasn't confident about modifying it though.

The rear mount cost me £38 (inc p&p IIRC) - I'd probably go for it again with the cup cut down
AO Silver Member

County: Cumbria

LOL! £90 is about what my 164 is worth!

Do you have a UK part number for the Saab one? I wouldn't mind having a go at the modifications. That said, if there was enough interest in a group buy of OE ones, I'd be potentially interested.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

Quote:
LOL! £90 is about what my 164 is worth!

Do you have a UK part number for the Saab one? I wouldn't mind having a go at the modifications. That said, if there was enough interest in a group buy of OE ones, I'd be potentially interested.
'Fraid I don't have a part number - I was just looking on German Swedish French & Eurocarparts
for front mounts for the 9000 - think the version is the 1994 2.3l LPT, but you might want to check the 164 digest
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

So, does any one else need the front engine mount for a 164?

Think we'd need more than 3 for a group buy
AO Member

County: South Yorkshire

Member car:

Alfa 164

Hey Guys, shock horror I've also got a duff front engine mount. Why is it so tough to get them? no one seems bothered to sell second hand ones, grr

Anyways, I'm very interested in all that everyone has said, does anyone know what the modifications are that have to be done to the saab mount? or the rear mount? to go in place? Also has anyone found the cheapest place to get these yet?

By the way, anyone who has broken their flexies from this problem, don't buy new or second hand alfa parts. I found the cheapest way was to buy 2 new flexy joints in stainless ( £70 ) and had two new stainless sections made and welded to the original downpipes for another £40. My engine has been rocking about for about 8 months now and I give it a hard time but the flexy's & pipes are still holdin up good.

Hey also guys I would chip in for a group buy if it's gonna be cheaper than moddin some saab stuff! Is 4 enough though?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

You can use the rear mount with no mods, but it'll tap the front rail.

I'd suggest cutting the cup on the bottom of it down by a bit - I'd guess 9mm - 3/8", but since I didn't think of it on mine I'm guessing a little.

The SAAB mount mods are described in detail on the 164 digest, but they are specific to the solid aftermarket mount.

I suspect 4 may not be big enough for a group buy, but I've not done this before.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 164

Hey Cheradnine,

I've been looking for this saab mod on the digest but all I find is reference someone else finding it. I must be blind or somethin but I just don't seem to be able to find it!! Do you knwo what section it's on atall?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

164 Super 24v

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 164

Thanks for the Reply,

It's great being on a forum where people actually help

Thanks for all those links, I'm gonna phone up my local alfa & saab agent this week and see what prices they can do them for.

Ta!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
engine , mounts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page