156 v6 engine repairs. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 04-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 156 2.5 v6

156 v6 engine repairs.

Hi all.My 156 v6 has been off the road for nearly three weeks due to my mechanics negligence when fitting a new cambelt.The new belt snapped after about one mile after being fitted causing 24 bent valves and some guides.The assessor for his insurance company has authorized the replacement of both heads and the cost of labour.I pointed out to my mechanic that i would only be happy taking the car back if new big end shells were replaced at the same time as the heads.My mechanic mentioned the situation as regards to bottom end damage following a snapped cambelt as posted here on several occasions to his insurance company but they said that they have never heard of bottom end damage caused after cambelt failure and it seems unlikely that they will pay out for that.Does it look like i will have to fork out my self for the shells to be replaced or is there anything i can legally do to get my mechanics insurance to pay for a bottom end rebuild? Sorry for the long winded post-Anyone been in the same situation? Cheers-James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Cheshire
Re: 156 v6 engine repairs.

It is definetly a good idea to change the big end shells after a cambelt failure. Some dont and miles later the big ends go, some dont change them and rely on luck.

I would say that given the fact that your mechanic is at fault, he should change them as part of his commitment to you.

They should be around £50 or less a set btw.
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

All the advice on this site as to big end shells seems to be for the TSpark not the V6. I wouldn't like to say for sure what should or should not be done with a V6 rebuild, but I have one that has done 60k miles since a head rebuild with no bottom end work done and it's running absolutely fine.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 04-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

alfa 156 2.5 v6

I hope this does only apply to twin sparks,but i would of thought a piston hitting a valve would have the same effect on bearing shells whether it's a six or a four cylinder engine.sorry to those with ts's by the way-nothing personal.

Last edited by Ho una 156V6; 04-06-07 at 17:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Engines (TS, JTS, JTD & V6)

Tags
156 , engine , repairs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page